So it hasn't been a big mystery that I've been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster this past month! Whether I wanted it to or not-- the period of time leading up to and then finally passing the April 1st two year anniversary of my separation--most certainly took its toll. It's a daily decision for me to still continue to go on in life with hope and joy...and I admit that some days I make up my mind to do it better than others. Still, at the core of me is this attitude that things are not just as I'd like them to be right now. My married life was very fulfilling and I feel the sadness and absence of the loss. But I trust that I am not alone in this trial and that God CAN and WILL make something great of all of this. He's going to get me to where I need to be! When I focus on those hopeful feelings, they usually do a great job of swallowing up the fear and despair. Here are a few other things I try and train my mind to think about on a daily basis to keep me heading in the right direction:
*"Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day". I attempt to start off each morning by looking forward to something in my day. It might be big-- like the start of a vacation, or small --like a hug from one of my boys. But there is good to be had on a daily basis and I try always to actively search it out.
*"Never give up, You're closer than you think". In my darkest times when I've contemplated just giving up in some way or another--I think how I would feel if I were given access to a kind of map of my life. What if I truly did give up only to be shown how close I was if I'd just. kept. going? How could I do that to myself? The journey may seem long for now, but I think it's actually a lot like when I go running-- it's always those middle miles that feel the hardest--the last ones actually go fairly quickly and before I know it I'm "there".
*Surround yourself with positive friends: I don't ever want to entomb myself with only people who sugar coat the truth. I like a little rough honesty and constructive criticism from time to time. I like a little variety in my friends But I do recognize my need to limit my exposure to those types of people who would drag me down. If I'm going to be nurtured, I need to make sure I'm not hanging out in bad soil!
*"It builds character" AKA "that which does not kill me can only make me stronger". This one I have to say with a lot of laughter because, let's face it, growth can hurt! I recognize, however, that the hard times--now and in the past-- have actually brought out the best in me. Though I do wish sometimes to go back and reclaim parts of me that existed pre-divorce, I know my trials have given me a type of inner strength I didn't have before and that, if I let Him, God can make me into *one cool chick* because of what I've been through.
Hope you're looking for ways to be a bounce back kind of person today. Don't just endure but enjoy the journey along the way !
*I know I took the term "bounce back person" from Joel Osteen. If any of the other ideas are his--I'll give him credit! They've just become such a part of me that I don't know what is from me and what I borrowed any more :)





10 comments:
Thanks for sharing, Jennifer. Those are great and a good reminder...especially looking for the good in everyday, even if the whole day isn't good.
<3 Tori
thanks Jen. I'm sending this link to a friend who could use your wisdom. Of course, we all can.
You "bounce back" beautifully! Thanks for being a great example. And a wonderful friend!
I kept thinking as I read your post what a neat parallel that your divorce is at the same time as Easter... a time of hope and Spring, and rebirth. Best of luck at this time. You are an inspiration to all you know (and read!) you.
Tiniel
Girl, I can only imagine the pain you are going through. I think of the verses in Philippians..."Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heaven ward in Christ Jesus." Phil 3:13-14. I only know that it isn't easy. One day you will wake up and see the fog has lifted and life is new again. I pray that it comes soon for you!
;-) I'm printing this out and posting it in the bathroom- seriously. Good advice and good job choosing "good soil" to grow in. Growth's never comfortable but sometimes the joy is just beyond the horizon and if we give up we won't get to see it! Thanks for the reminder.
You can't help but find good in every day when you have beautiful children surrounding you. My children certainly have no idea how much I need to see their smiley faces, hear their infectious laughter. I thank my Father in heaven everyday, as I know you do, for the children he has intrusted me to raise.
Thanks for sharing this today. I definitely needed it.
you're wonderful and amazing jennifer...even if you don't think you are....you are such a strong woman and i am in constant awe of you and your strength and abilities to weather these storms of life....can i give you a hug? :)
This is exactly why I adore you. Why do we have to live in different states? I want you for a In real life friend! :)
Post a Comment