His name was Friedric--named after one of the VonTrapp boys from The Sound of Music. I hand-picked him from a litter of farm kittens to keep me company during the first few difficult months when, as a newly married couple, my husband and I had moved to a rural town. Because I didn't really know anyone, didn't know how to find my way around, had a spouse who worked 18 hour days, and lived in a house that didn't have TV--it was pretty much just me, the cat, Tetris, and 'The Best of the Beatles' CD until I started Design school and found a job.
---
I have never been one of those animal lovers who looks at their pets as being on equal standing with their children--a belief further cemented when I actually started having children--but I do believe in commitment. If you agree to take on the responsibility of an animal, you commit to it: To seeing that they are properly fed, given good medical care (including and especially seeing that they're spayed or neutered), have warm/cool shelter, and are given a reasonable amount of attention and affection. You don't abandon them or give them away on a whim. If there are behavioral issues, you do all you can to educate yourself on how to correct them, and stick with it until the animal learns. That's the way I treated my Friedric. He was a good, loyal friend to me and to all four of my boys. At 13 years old, his urinary tract crystallized and his kidneys started to shut down. This was a condition I'd saved him from (at a pretty hefty cost) twice already--once at 4 years and again at 7. I had fed him special low-magnesium food to try and prevent the condition from re-occurring, but his poor body was just getting old. I took him to the vet who said he COULD probably save Friedric again with several days of IV's and care (and $1200), but that it would really only be to prolong his life for another year at the most. Sadly, I chose to have him put to sleep.
---
I feel like I never really got to mourn his passing properly because of this ... but his absence was certainly felt by the boys and I.
---
My two oldest started bothering me for a pet again about a year ago, and I bought them gerbils. They've been thrilled with them. Then, about ten days ago, this girl shows up in our backyard:
Since we don't have any pets, our home seems to be a hangout for all the local cats and dogs battling for a little extra turf, so I wasn't surprised to see a strange cat walking around. We pet her for a while and then went about our business. In the morning, she was still there. And that night. And the next morning. And so on. I kept waiting for her to go back to wherever she came from, but she'd seemed to claim us. My 12 year old named her "Blake" -- a mixture of the words black and gray. She was very sweet and I found myself growing as attached to her as my kids were.
---
But....honesty gnaws at a person like me who believes in it. I had to make sure she didn't belong to anyone else. So, today I loaded up my 5 and 3 year old boys, put Blake in Friedric's old carrier, and headed for the Humane Society. There, they could scan her for a microchip and file a "found cat" report. Sure enough...she was chipped. They phoned the owner and left a message. However, because she WAS owned by someone, they had to keep her for a week to see if she would be claimed. Which meant...yup....that cat that COULD have been mine for free if I'd just cared a little less about being honest, now has the possibility of being mine in a week....for $50 dollars. My 5 year old was bawling as we left without the cat and with me trying to explain to him how really, really we did the right thing.
-
Sigh.
-
The wages of honesty. You'd think you'd get rewarded for it--but often times it bites you. Ah well....Throw a few more blessings onto that pile awaiting me in Heaven one day, right? :)
---
Whether or not we get to keep Blake, I have a feeling we'll be coming home with a cat of some kind next week....





12 comments:
good luck with getting the cat or any cat. It is better to be honest and your boys will grow up with good lessons being learned. I hope you had fun in Cali. Cant wait to hear all about it!
My wife and I got a cat last October to "be a pet" for our dog so that it would have a playmate after we had our baby. It worked out quite well and Kozmo's been a joy to have as well.
LOLLL!!! OH.....sigh....you know me and pets. Good luck to you!
I know it is hard to decide money vs your pet. We have recently been faced with this same issue. In the end they ARE pets, not children . For now we are just holding out until she appears to have symptoms or is in pain.
You did the right thing. Good luck with the new 4 legged family member you will be bringing home :).
My friend Robyn who lives near you reported her female cat lost about 10 days ago. I'm wondering if that's her. I'm not a cat person--but respect someone that will care for them the way you have! You did do the right thing!
Ugh, that would totally happen to me...I hear ya. Blake is cute. Hope you all are doing wonderfully!!!
Cute cat.
We have a cat. Her name is Cat. She's a cat, not my child.
The Humane Society drives me insane.
Or should I say the Humane $ociety.
Let me know when your Yummy comes in the mail. :)
Sometimes that is the sad case about honesty...but it will be worth it in the long run forsure! Way to go. <3
Poor Blake. Poor kids. I would have done the same thing, though. Honesty sometimes hurts, but it feels so much better in the end.
What a great example you are to those boys and all of us. I ♥ kitties, I hope you get one.
cat's rock. except of course for my missionary shedding cat Amanda :)
You're so kind. So what happened? We need the rest of the story...
Post a Comment