Tuesday, September 7, 2010

i actually learned something doing my homework


In Fiction class this semester, we're studying great sentences--how to identify components about them that catch our attention or emotion, and hopefully learn how to craft similar ones ourselves. To accomplish this, my professor had the class choose two novels from a list of thirty or so that he deemed to be full of great sentences. We were then to read them with a highlighter in hand, marking anything that moved us or caught our attention.


One of the novels available to choose was "The Hunger Games", a book I've been wanting to read for a long time now (and would only start to read now that the entire trilogy is complete. I hate waiting when I get sucked into a series!).


I devoured the whole thing in two days. Couldn't put it down.


In preparation to discuss some of the great sentences I found with my class tomorrow, I spent the evening looking over what I'd marked. One section in particular caught my attention as it seems that God wanted me to learn something tonight....


In the story, Katniss is on her second day in the arena. She's trying to keep positive and use all the skills and smarts she's acquired during the course of her life to stay alive. She has figured out how to get food and stay safe while sleeping. However, she can't find any water. Dehydration begins to take its toll, and yet she pushes on--certain there has to be water somewhere and that she'll find it if she just keeps going. Finally, the physical fatigue and heat combine to push her to her limit. Overcome by a pounding headache, she can't think clearly enough to act rationally. Her joints hurt. Her body can barely move. Her tongue, dry as sandpaper. She doesn't know how she can go on. Then the thought hits her....Haymitch! He is her coach during the Hunger Games and, able to see her via camera, he has the power to send her water.


Why doesn't he?


Can't he see she's in the depths of despair? Out of ability? Near death's door?


She begins to feel that Haymitch doesn't understand her need. Doesn't care about her. Maybe even hates her or wants to punish her.


And now my thoughts: Though I know my God to be a loving and kind Father, eager to comfort and bless me, I am often afraid of what He asks me to pass through. Often wonder if he notices or cares about the edges he's pushed me to? I wonder why, when He has all ability, He doesn't rescue me?


The answer that came into Katniss's mind became my answer as well...."Maybe he's sending you a message. There's only one reason Haymitch could be withholding water from you. Because he knows you've almost found it."


Have I? Is that what God is telling me by letting me keep struggling in this sea of trials a little longer? Have I, through His grace, almost found my way out, too? Am I not in need of divine rescuing because He who knows all can see that I am close to that water of rest my soul so desperately needs?


Katniss did find her water. She was close after all. I hope I am as well.


I really, really hope.


Who knew you could actually LEARN something doing your homework? :)


I'm going to keep pressing on a little longer. Trusting. Hoping.

8 comments:

thefinderofthings said...

Thanks for that reminder. I loved the books and love hearing what other people got out of them. Interesting that reminders often come from the most random places and times.

'T' said...

Keep looking. I'm sure your water will have crushed ice, and lemon wedge, and a twisty straw... It will be so refreshing, and just for you.

pappel said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now. I have to tell you that there have been two times when the message in your post truly inspired me and this is one of those times.
Thank you.

*Jess* said...

That very scene in the book spoke to me as well. Oh my, I hope you went out and got the other two books immediately :) I almost don't know what to do with myself now that I'm done with the series!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post...
I haven't read the books, but it looks like just what I need to spend some time enjoying.
BTW, I think your "water" is just around the corner :)
Stacey

Amber said...

WOW - such a powerful thing to get from that section of the book! I love the application you made and I think it could apply to so many people and their unique situations. What insight you have.

Hunger Games is an AMAZING book. Can't wait to read the third one!

Tracy P. said...

Jennifer, I haven't been over here in "two forevers". Just saw you at Mama Kat's this morning and came and did a little catching up. Love this post. A friend of mine recently said she is tired of "the desert" and so wishing for some time to draw near to God when her responsibilities are so many and weighty. I told her there is a beautiful flower growing in that desert, but she would need a mirror to see it. May you find your water soon. One day you will surely see the thing of beauty that has been nourished and growing through these very days. Your transparency is surely a blessing to many. Praying for you this morning!

Magson said...

I've got the 3rd book, but I'm still barely in the 1st chapter. It just hasn't grabbed me this time around.