Monday, April 16, 2012

just when you think...


Here is something I hate to admit:

A year ago, I had to go on government food assistance--otherwise known as food stamps. I hated, hated, hated it. I even blogged about hating it (in a post I can't seem to locate at this late hour).

It was humiliating but--I didn't see much of an option. I needed the assistance, especially after the government took $25,000 of the savings I was living off of in taxes (almost a year's income for me). I had just graduated from the university and started my internship/job at starting wages. These types of programs were made to help people in my situation until they could do for themselves, I believed.

They started me off at $750 a month. I hardly knew what to do with it all! That was $200 more than I had ever budgeted for groceries. I used the extra to build up our food storage. We ate a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables which always seemed previously out of our reach. I even bought some groceries for the boys to take to Brad's house.  It was such a blessing to have one less thing to worry about.

Four months ago, with me working steadily, they lowered my amount to $450. That was actually a relief--an indication I was moving in the right direction. I was now spending about $150 of my own money on food and household stuff, which was hard but do-able. Maybe an eventual raise, maybe extra writing work, something,something would come along to boost my income a bit more. Just a little bit longer...

Then, today, I got the letter.

They are "cutting me off."

I make exactly $120 too much to qualify anymore.

So, let me get this: Because I make $120 too much, they are going to take $450 worth of food away from me? Not lower my amount by $120 but take it away entirely?! What part of that makes sense?

As I've said before, there is a continuous $500 gap between what I currently make and what my monthly expenses are. Blessedly, every month for the last six months, I've managed to work enough odd jobs to make up the difference.

But now, I have to make up that $500 gap PLUS another $450?!?!

With me going back to school full time? And the possibility of my child support being reduced forever hanging over my head?

What the heck?!

I suppose this is why I've never been a huge fan of government programs to begin with. They reward not working. Here I am, a woman who has avoided unnecessary debt (no credit cards, no car loan, adhere to a strict cash only budget); I'm working steadily; continuing in my education so that I can advance in my career....and "they" would rather push me into debt (and worry) to make sure my family is fed? We do NOT live an extravagant lifestyle in any manner. I drive an 11 year old van. I live in a modest 1800 square foot older home. I do almost all the repairs around here myself. I garden and grow my own herbs. I shop vintage thrift stores and clearance racks. Most of my kids' socks and jeans and shoes have holes in them. I buy make up at the dollar store or get samples from Sephora. I color my hair myself. I would rather bake and cook than eat out.

We are happy, mind you. Income doesn't have to dictate how much joy you have in life--but money is a necessary evil. The boy squad and I have sufficient for our needs and a few of our wants--but no more. And now what?

Just when I thought I might be beyond the point of just getting up but actually moving forward...I get knocked down again.

I know my church won't let the boys and I go hungry. We'll figure something out. But, I could use all the prayers/good vibes you can muster sent my way. I'm a proud woman, and it was hard enough for me to go on the program in the first place. I still need it. But I refuse to be one of those people who does less so she can get more.

Going to figure it out. Yup. And in the mean time, maybe lose some weight, eh? ;)

9 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

Can you ask for a demotion at work, or pay cut? I'm sorry. This sucks. Prayers.

Nikki said...

That's amazingly unfair! SO frustrating....but with your creativity I know it will pan out.
Praying over here!

Crystal said...

How is it that Brad can continue to dictate how much he pays you in child support? You still have the same number of children. Is it time to take him to court and let them determine how much he HAS to pay? It sounds almost like he is taking advantage of your niceness to make sure his past sins (abandoning you and his children) aren't causing him too much pain...I'll be praying for you. God didn't bring you this far to leave you!

Stephanie said...

Oh goodness. I won't even begin to explain how much "the system" frustrates me. Okay. Actually- I will. I know first hand that the way the system is set up makes it SO hard for people to get away from it. The gap between being able to qualify for EVERYthing and not qualifying for ANYthing is way too narrow. I think there's more to it than just that "the system has some flaws." Call me crazy- but I think they need a certain % of our country to be on welfare- whatever the form. They NEED us to be dependent on them. Then NEED it in order to retain control. That's what I think, at least. Sheesh. I could go on and on.

Magson said...

Brad shouldn't have the option of paying/not paying/deciding how much he wants to pay. Did you not get a formal court-ordered child support agreement? If not, now is the time. For me, I'm ordered by the court to pay a percentage of my after tax income in child support. Period end of sentence. I get a raise, I pay more. This goes until my youngest daughter graduates high school, so it's been going on for 8 years and I've got 7 more to go. I have no choice in the matter, unless I want to go to debtor's prison.

Yes, it IS debtor's prison, they just call it "jailed for contempt of court" anymore, saying that failure to pay indicates contempt of court, since the agreement is said to be between me and the court, not me and my ex. If he's in a different state you can still get his drivers' license suspended and things like that, get his wages garnished, etc. The court will send an order to his employer to do that.

Child support should not be something that you need to fear losing. The laws of the land won't let that happen. So get it done under the law instead of as a verbal agreement, and then it will be one less worry for you.

Jennifer P. said...

Brad's wages are garnished, he's just going through some "financial restructuring" right now and part of that may be reducing what he pays. Not cutting it off entirely-- I will go back and edit the post to reflect that. I don't doubt he will always pay something but to tell me that I would even be getting $200-300 less right now might as well be $2000-3000 for the impact it would have.

RORYJEAN said...

I know you are busy and I don't know if Boise has the same research/craigslist opportunities as Seattle, but I have managed to make $1200 extra dollars this month by participating in research studies, and buying and reselling stuff on craigslist, and other odd jobs. It has only take a few hours of my time. Granted, it has been an unusually good month, but I was still surprised at how easy it was to close that gap in our budget that just seemed to kick us further into debt. Don't despair. You're hard working and smart- you'll figure something out.

Anonymous said...

This is one situation that I know nothing about--so I will just say you are one strong lady--
I ran across an article recently that reminded me of you-it talks about how divorce can be so hard on a person and the scars it leaves. Anyway, it is too long to put in the comment column so I have mailed it to you.
love you,
erma

Anonymous said...

This is one situation that I know nothing about--so I will just say you are one strong lady--
I ran across an article recently that reminded me of you-it talks about how divorce can be so hard on a person and the scars it leaves. Anyway, it is too long to put in the comment column so I have mailed it to you.
love you,
erma