Wednesday, May 5, 2010

more pretty projects going on around my house

You'd think trying to accomplish projects around the house in the middle of all my end of school/writing deadline craziness would just add to the stress--but it's actually had quite the opposite effect. Prettying up or cleaning out a little something here and there has actually proven to be quite therapeutic.



I ripped everything out my garage on Saturday and (after chasing away several people who thought I was having a garage sale. Get away from my stuff people!!!) I found a few space gobblers to put onto Craigslist--all sold within 5 days. Woo-hoo!


Next I wanted to find a way to make this part of my hallway a little prettier:



I love my kids artwork--and with four boys who love to draw and paint there's never enough room on my fridge. So, a few years ago we started to hang up some of their excess masterpieces on this big, empty wall in the hallway. The Crayola colors helped to remedy the blah beige (I can't remember why I chose to paint the space that color but I really hate it now). Still--the tape never seemed to hold very well and so papers would fall off and be stuck back up willy-nilly, leaving the whole thing looking a little out of control. So-- using the cut up cardboard box that my outdoor umbrella came in and less than $15 in fabric, I made this...........







I KNOW!!!---the center fabric is crooked and it will probably bother me endlessly but, in my defense, I did make these while on an extremely long phone call with my insurance company. I like that I got a little color and pattern in the big blank space, and that the artwork seems elevated in importance now. Those results are good enough for me to live with the crookedness!

Did you even know you could make a bulletin board out of a piece of cardboard, some fabric, and little hot glue? Yup! You can! I've made them for years...and now you can too :) !



Finally, tune in on Monday to hear the story behind my new shelves.....




and-- if I'm feeling so inclined-- I will tell you how they tie into my current love life.
OK then. That's all I got. This is as clever as the ending is going to get. Now comment. Please. :)
Oh yeah, and p.s. You're welcome for the Chuck Mangione music Heh.heh.

15 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

I'm jeallous of your new shelves.

RORYJEAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sissy said...

Love life....hmmm. Can't wait to hear more.

'T' said...

ok i've been wanting to ask about the love life. i'm so glad you're going to update us :)

Lisa said...

Love the wall for the kids art work! Brilliant!
The new shelf is amazing.
Waiting on the update too.

Lisa Q

Elena said...

Not in a million years would I have noticed the crooked frabic. I had to sit and stare to figure out what you were talking out. And I LOVE the tree sillouette on the shelves. Hmmmm....can't wait to see what you're going to do with those.

Ronnica said...

Love what you did with the hallway!

Elena Yvette said...

I too had space problems with regards to my children's art work. This is how I solved it. I use the back side of their bedroom doors as displays and use stikki-wax as adhesive. The stikki-wax will not damage the art work nor the door, and it is reusable. The door size is pretty big to hold a good amount of pieces and when the children close their bedroom doors, they are delighted to see all those pretty colors and pictures.

Claremont First Ward said...

You are the best and leaving us all hanging waiting for more! :)

I can't believe how great your bulletin board is! Looks fantastic!

M said...

Now I'm going to focus on the uneven print when I see it. :) It looks awesome!

familywithfivekids said...

Love the bulletin board - thanks for sharing such a great idea! I can DO that (woo hoo!)
I love your shelves - beautiful. Excited to see where they go in your home.

wedogmomma said...

Funny you should mention that...the song was cracking me up! Hot glue guns remedy SO many broken things in life....nice work!

Lee Ann said...

I didn't notice the fabric either. I think it looks great! I love a good masterpiece wall. I want my girls to make me some great pieces on canvas.

Can't wait to hear ALL ABOUT the shelves!

Nishant said...

The new shelf is amazing.
post free classifieds

Tamera - aka TJ said...

Okay - So I'm a lurker. Yes, yes, I know, I shouldn't. But, really, you DO give great tips for home decor, which I find I'm able to use from time to time. Wish you lived closer to me (a sad, pathetic decorator).
Also, you have inspired me from time to time as you have shared your stories of joy, pain, and even healing. I've cried and been angry as I've read. Then, later laughed and smiled as you shared parts of your life.
Thanks -
All this to say - I LOVE your cardboard idea. I'm going to use it this Saturday, in fact. I've been wondering how to better display all this preschool artwork, and now I have a solution. Thanks bunches for the free tips!
Praying for you and your boys when I read and think about you.
Blessings,
TJ