Monday, January 12, 2009

i am in a hot new relationship....with phabio

I'm a simple girl. Kind of baffled by and largely uninterested in a lot of modern technology.

Here's a funny story that illustrates that fact: Back in 1998, we moved into an apartment that had a garbage disposal---the first one I'd ever had. After about a week, it made a horrible sound (I think it went something like "kkkkkkkkkkwannnkag-thud") and stopped working. Brad reached his hand in to try and figure out what was wrong, and proceeded--with a confused look on his face-- to pull out all manner of stuff: Gogurt wrappers, paper towels, egg shells.

Uh....yeah.....I guess I have to admit to the world, that I thought the garbage disposal was for-----garbage. All kinds of small garbage. Darn that modern technology!

Fast forward to today and here is a picture of my old phone:


I did not choose it based on it's features, but because it was pink. It worked absolutely fine for me, except for--with the increasing amount of texting I seemed to be doing (is it just me or is EVERYONE texting now a days?!?!)-- the 3 key system was a little *time consuming.*

While I was in California, Haute Cakes Mystery Man happened to show me an extra phone he had laying around. It was beefy. and sleek. and silver. and available. and it totally sweet talked me......

I plunged right into this relationship with my new Treo, whom I named Phabio the Phone. Except, well, I'm coming to realize that my phone might just be too much man for me. Like giving a 16 year old the keys to a new Ferarri (or maybe in my case, a 6 year old!).

----He is highly complicated.---- Like a good woman, I want to understand him, but why oh why Phabio do you do stuff like this:

*suddenly start to blare a song by Yellowcard as I'm grocery shopping. Everyone in the baking aisle is staring at me, but I don't know where the Yellowcard music is located or why it has turned on---so I just kind of push a bunch of buttons and finally turn the phone off.

*On New Years Eve, Phabio decides to send out the text "Happy New Year you!" to a friend.....17 times......until friend has to call and make sure I'm OK.

*While at the movie, Phabio must be bored just hanging out in my pocket and decides to try and beam Muse's "Supermassive Blackhole" to everyone in the theatre.

Frustrated and confused, I was about to end my relationship with Phabio, when he redeemed himself by bonding with my children. They discovered he contained the game Bubble Breaker, and now everyone fights over who gets to be with Phabio first. I also discovered that Phabio gives me sweet, gentle reminders of stuff that needs to get taken care of during the day. I love a man who helps me stay organized.

So, I'm keeping him.

Forever and ever.

Because I don't want to ever have to learn to use another electronic device in my life.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go throw this yogurt container in the garbage disposal......

45 comments:

Trish said...

you crack me up!!

and I have phabio envy.

I need a good man like him, I too own a flip phone that I picked based solely on it color.......PINK~

I am now ready to grow up and choose features over color.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what I should start calling my phone now...I don't think it's up to Phabio standards so maybe I'll have to go with Horace. Yes, I think that's it. :)

Kristi said...

I have a Treo too & I'm so glad I ditched all those other guys... he's the one for me!

Anonymous said...

Hmm does Treo have a brother? I've been looking for replacement for my guy - he's a little bit old and I'm tired of him ;)

Anonymous said...

Cute phone. Mine is ugly in comparison to that. I might be jealous.

I too, thought you could throw anything down the garbage disposal. Until the night I plugged up our kitchen sink after dropping down a quart of pickled beets gone bad. My husband has since limited my disposal use to extremely small particles of food - the ones that escape through the drain catcher.

Carrie said...

OK, I with you on the technology. My niece is ten and was so appalled that my last phone didn't have a camera (gasp!). Hey, I get the free with plan phone. Last year though I "treated" myself to the $35 upgrade, but because it's purple. It has call waiting and I have no clue how to use it.
We have blackberry's that our company gives us and after 18 months I have yet to learn much about it.
It's good to know that Haute Cakes is ok with your relationship with Phabio. :)

ManicMandee said...

My hubby has a Treo AND an Iphone. He's spoiled that way. He bought the Treo, then his work gave him an Iphone. Guess which he prefers? The Treo. His isn't possessed with creapy erotic behaviors.
Good luck!

Brittany Ann said...

Ha! Who doesn't love bubble breaker? Oh....and the beginning of our house tour is posted now. You'll have to take a look and tell me what you think!

Lee Ann said...

I'm so with you.....actually behind you. I still have the old basic flip phone. And....I don't even know HOW TO TEXT! Shocking I know!

My hubby always has the latest and greatest (he's into the iphone right now), but I just want it to be easy, make phone calls, and not embarrass me.

Hope it gets better. Tell Phabio to behave!

Lisa said...

Too funny!!! I hate texting, so I am ok without a complicated phone. Enjoy your 'new man'.

Lisa Q

Trish said...

Well, you've joinged a brave new world. Everybody is texting except me... I just don't love it. On my cute little phone that I chose because it was light blue (to match my eyes), it's a p-p-p-pain. Making the call is just so much easier! And, my other techno-pet peave is my iPod. Mostly because I hate the software. Ah, they really should make it more user-friendly. :)

Oh, well. It's only a matter of time before my phgone gets passed on to one of my kids. The kids on our block got cell phones for Christmas. What?!

Summer Miller said...

I have been a loyal Treo user since the beginning but last April my husband the "tech nerd" bought me a different kind of cell and it has been a love hate relationship since. We do however still have the bubble game. I have to say I am not surprised about the garbage disposal :)

Karli said...

Believe it or not, I am still one of the few who doesn't text. I pretty much hate it to tell you the truth. Don't hate me for saying that either. I just think it's so impersonal and I especially dislike when my young women are doing it during mutual or when I'm trying to talk to someone and they pull their phone out and start texting... It's taking over the world! (: Zac only has texting on his work phone and even then barely knows how to use it, so I guess we're two of the few left!

Glad you found a new phone and that the boys have found a game on it to help you love it even more. That is hilarious about the garbage disposal!

wenderful said...

Texting? What's that? Oh yeah. That thing my 13 year old does too much that gets her grounded. I remember now.
My phone calls people and rings. What more do I need really?

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I think Phabio sounds like the perfect man: smart, organized but not whiny, sleek and well built, likes music and when you are tired of him you can turn him off.

Thanks for the laugh!

Jen

Elena said...

LOL!! That's as bad as me not knowing how to turn on a dishwasher until I went to college. I think you should tell everyone how you decorated that little apartment kitchen with gold sticker stars. I still LOVE that! Hmmmm...I wonder if I have a wall to do that with?

Carrin said...

I am soooo techy challanged! I too clogged the garbage disposal with 1 dozen roses! I have my razr that I will probaboly never get rid of because I don't want to learn to use anything else. Who reads the books on these things anyways?

Melissa Lester said...

You have such a funny way of putting things that makes the smallest incidents of everyday life so interesting. I was giggling reading this because I have only recently sent any text messages. And I'm so slow I think it would have been quicker to just call the person than to send the text. Then resend it because I didn't send it correctly. Maybe I need a Phabio, too, in order for this to catch on for me.

Miki said...

How do you do that? How do you write about your techy challenges in such a fun way...naming your phone and everything?!...

Phabio sounds just like a complicated woman...lol.

So fun to read what Jennifer writes!

I am techy challenged. I have no idea how to text...none. I hardly knew how to turn on my husband's phone when I asked him if I could borrow it. Yes, I said borrow it...I still have no cell phone. I refuse to think I need one.

Some outside force will be the reason I finally get one. Am I like the "old timers" who said to their children who begged for t.v.'s, new toys, and such that "YOU don't need one...when I was a kid...."

Oh man...

Brian and Staci said...

Sooo funny!!! Brian got me a Blackberry a couple of months ago....I seriously only need a phone I can talk on...but I will say, being stuck in an airplane (on the tarmac) (Sp?), well, let's just say, it made the time go by much faster :) I'm glad you decided to keep him ;) (Sorry I didn't have time this weekend to figure out the blogroll thingie...ya know...life gets in the way!)

Tamie said...

my hubby and i are trying to decide what phone to get next month. our two-year contract is up in feb. and both are phones are a little....shall we say: well-loved/used (you pick the phrase that fits) his is much worse off thanmine though. so we get to pick new phones...sleek, pretty, non-fingerprint-y phones.
enjoy phabio---i know that i would :)

BBB said...

You are too funny.

I want a nifty phone so badly. So badly I put my phone in diet pepsi to try to make it not work so I could get a new one but... it didn't work...

Gombojav Tribe said...

I'm rather like that when it comes to technology. I don't own an ipod, a laptop, a cell phone or any portable electronic device. I'm living in the dark ages, so my children tell me.

Claremont First Ward said...

I can't. breathe. You thought the garbage disposal was for all small trash? Hilarious. I just got a new phone similar to Phabio. I guess I need to name him. I didn't think I'd fall in love. But I did. Oh, I did!

Aubrey said...

Gogurt wrappers and paper towels? That's funny. TOTALLY sounds like something I would do. And choosing a phone by it's color? So me. In fact, I broke my phone Christmas Eve by dropping it one too many times, and it's been replaced with someone's leftover phone. It's no Phabio. It looks like a wannabe pimp nerd phone. What do you call a wannabe pimp nerd? Oh, and it's an MP3 player. I'm so totally out of the loop that I have no idea how to work THAT. Maybe Lex will help me.

Ashley said...

He is elusive and hard to learn - like most men. But give him time and you'll learn more. Ha!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I want a fun phone. Or is a phun phone? Mine is just basic. And I have NO clue as to how to text. And Rhea keeps sending me pictures of herself while she waits in carpool for her boys. Not that I know how to open said pictures. But I know they are there.

I need an upgrade. And a lesson.

Sissy said...

I have an Envy which has a full keyboard and I totally love it. It is so much easier to text on it than my old phone. Mine is silver and flips open. It doesn't do all the things that Phabio does, but it's cool.

Susie said...

That is so funny! I am the same way! Just give me a phone that makes phone calls! That's all I need.

Lula! said...

I have a pink 3-key texter...my iPhone friends hate how long it takes me to reply to their texts. Can't help it...love my hot pink Razr.

My husband is obsessed with Bubble Break. End of story.

My pinkness belts out Kanye's "Love Lockdown" at the most inappropriate moments...church, cough-cough. But she also rings the University of Georgia's fight song whenever I recieve a call, so all is well, ahd she is once again in my good graces.


p.s. Don't even pretend that Haute Cake's real name is Phabio...I got you figured out, girl.

Themorrisbunch said...

*sigh*

I have a pay as you go phone, much to my sister-in-law's new Blackberry's dismay.

Red makes and takes calls.
However, I cannot make her text.
I've seen the my sis do it, and it's too fast for me.
It's frightening.

Phabio, I love the name.
Perfect for a beefy phone. ;)

Lizzie said...

give it time dear, give it time :) my blackberry had me puzzled for weeks. Now, i can't imagine life without it!

Elizabeth Peterson said...

Glad you are learning how to work your new phone! I am also glad that you treat your garbage disposal better. THat sounds like something I would have done when I was 15 or 16 and too lazy to walk over to the trash!

Rhea said...

haha I love it. Phabio. That's great. I need one of those.

Anonymous said...

I had that same pink phone!! My friend gave it to me after I lost my verizon phone and decided to reactivate my husband's sprint account while he was deployed(he had destroyed his phone before he left). Now I have a thinner pink one :)

annaliese said...

Phabio sending out that New Year's message 17 times. I am still laughing. sitting at my computer at 11 at night LOL! and you know what? I will probably bust out laughing at some really inappropriate time in the near future while thinking about that story. thanks a lot.

'T' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Okay, I'll admit it. I don't even OWN a cell phone! And I've never texted anyone in my life.

(but your title made me laugh because once back in the day I actually got hit on by Fabio! Yeah, the real "I can't believe it's not buttah" guy!! haha!)

Ronnica said...

Aww, that's sweet, Phabio was trying to serenade you...

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I was overjoyed that my phone could take pictures but Phabio scares me......

Miki said...

I'm so glad I'm came back over here. So many fun girls leaving their sweet nothings.

Anyway, I came back to wish you to see my replies to you over at my blog. Please come see, one of them is a half apology/explanation and I don't want you to miss it!

kam said...

You are going to love that phone so much!! Mine helps me stay on top of my life so well! ;) Congrats on the new "man" in your life!! ;) Can't wait to see you! Wear BRIGHT colors! They photograph the best and will showcase your personality for sure!! Can't wait to see you- K

Jenners said...

This was so funny! I'm glad I'm not the only one who picks technological devices based solely on their appearance and not their functionality. It was why I had a blueberry iMac and drove a VW New Beetle. Both were good choices, by the way, so it isn't such a bad idea to use "cuteness" as a way to pick stuff. Hopefully Phabio will begin to behave himself ... the start of every great relationship is a little rocky as you get to know each other.

WheresMyAngels said...

My 4 year old loves Bubble breaker!!

My old boss, dumped a Whole pot of Mac and Cheese down the garbage disposal. It came out the drain in her downstairs roommates tub.

I stuck Watermelon rinds in ours and it vibrated it so bad that it fell out and hit the floor. Opps

Cailean said...

This was so hilarious! You're a great writer :)