and moths.
but this is about the ants.
When I was in the 8th grade, my Earth Science teacher showed us some awful video about insects. I remember seeing a whole colony of ants descend on a monkey and carry it away.... while it was still alive!.... Tell me that wouldn't freak you out just a bit too!
And when I got a house of my own and got ants for the first time, I remember feeling violated somehow. I would lay awake worrying the ants might find my sweet-smelling toddler who was roughly the size of.....a monkey.
Anyway---this really is going somewhere!
Over a year ago, my Liam got an Ant Farm as a gift. I thought if I just put it at the top of his closet, he would forget about it. But he didn't. He asked about it at least once a month. So, I finally broke down and sent away for the ants (free with $4.50 shipping and handling!) in November. They don't ship them when it's cold apparently. It's spring now. The ants came. Liam was overjoyed.
I poured the sand in the tank and assembled it JUST like it's "escape-proof" instructions told me to. Then it was time. I said a prayer to whatever god wasn't laughing at me and pulled the ants out of the refrigerator.
What? Huh? Ants in the refrigerator?
Yeah---they came in a little sealed test tube and the directions said to put them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to settle them down. I left them there for 30. Because the directions were also o'erfrought with warnings about how these ants BITE!!!
Liam and James looked on as I tried to gently "tip" the ants into the 1/4 inch opening. That's another thing the stupid directions said..... *gently tip*. Well, one ant went into the tank. And another. And another. And then a whole blob of cold ants came out. Too big to go through the opening. Instead they hit my counter--- and this is where the monkey-eating ant flashback came to me. The ants were immediately awakened and began to crawl all over my counter....and fast! *Explode* is a good word to describe what it looked like.
I started to panic---and shriek. I grabbed a cup and slapped it down over the main ant blob, then began pounding at the ants that were scurrying away. More shrieking. Then I realized I still had the test tube in my hand and there were ants crawling out of it and onto me. Oh my gosh!!---now there was really shrieking....and also hyperventilating! Liam and James, who had been laughing thinking Mommy was being funny, now realized that I was, in fact, in full freak out mode.
"Come on James!" Liam cried "let's run away outside!"
The two of them hightailed it out of there, with Liam calling one last wish to me: "run away from the ants Mom! RUN!".
I wanted to!
But someone had to take care of the ants. And I guess it had to be me.
I now had a counterful of ant carcases and about 30 angry ants under a cup. I tried shoving ice cubes under there to cool and calm them down again, but every time I lifted it up, more ants would take off, and more shrieking would erupt from me.
So, I did what every brave Mom does. Got out my vacuum cleaner. Buh-bye ants.
Well... except for those 4 that made it into the tank. The ones I have now grown strangely attached to......
Wanna help me name them?





37 comments:
LMbootyO ;)
though I'm not laughing AT you....because I haven't sent away for MY ants yet..and well, now I'm reconsidering the whole project!
Those suckers are HUGE! I was picturing "sugar" ants.
And I too saw similar footage on the Discovery channel about ants coming down in a forest and disintegrating everything in their path.
That's just wrong.
As to naming your ants, I wish I could come up with some clever names...
How about Lucky, Fortunata, Bendita (blessed in spanish), and Happytobealive.
You are a good mom. I couldn't, wouldn't do that EVER! Ants gross me out. You go girl!
My fear is frogs and I would never have done what you did even for my lovely kids. haha You win the greatest mom award as far as I am concerned. I am still laughing though and I can't believe how big the remaining ants are.
Hope you have a great day!
Your officially the bravest mom ever!
And using the vacuum, GENIUS!
I literally laughed out loud at you shoving ice cubes in there. I love you a little big more right now.
hahahaha......i laugh cuz it's you and not me.
Way to take it for the team!
Let us know what the procreation time for ants is. Okay.
If it can go south, it will go south! Always remember that. If it can happen, it will happen!
Bless your good momma heart!!!:)
Lisa Q
proposed ant names:
Jaws
Bruno
Dexter
Tom
I decided against Cujo, so I put Tom instead.
You poor thing! I hate to tell you that I laughed at your experience, but....I DID. A lot.
As far as possible ant names: Memphis, Killer, Fancy, Fancy Pants, I mostly like that last one because it sounds like a kids book......"Fancy Pants the Ant: A Mostly True Story." Have a great day!
I am so sorry to find such humor at your expense... This was seriously my laugh for the month! (yes, i do laugh several times a month, but not this hard!) You are totally getting the 'super mom' award for this one.
ALBUS
AGNUS
ALFRED
ANNIE
(I love alliteration, even when naming ants, which is a first)
TINIEL
p.s. my first thought would have been to spray windex or hairspray all over the little bargers... genius on the vacuum.
Oh funny, funny, funny! We have ants in our bathroom (like we get EVERY stinkin' year). Jarom said that he bets if we gave Halle and ant farm kit and told her she could populate it by catching as many ants as she could, she'd sit there the whole day and we would no longer have an ant colony in the bathroom. LOL!
I don't want to add fuel to your ant hatin' fire.....but I have similar types of fears and let me just tell you what I am thinking: Those ants are alive in the vacum cleaner. They're still in there. And I bet they are way beyond being chilled with cool temps. Change the bag and take the bag away. Just do this so I can rest easy.
Ok, here goes.....
1. Ant Bea (ha ha...Andy Griffith would be proud)
2. Ant Annie
3. Ant Jemima (like the syrup..he he)
4. Ant Uncle
What do ya think? Hmmm. I'm kind of proud of myself. Love ya.
My two kids are dancing to "Please don't go"....they are laughing so hard right now!! Love it.
thought of another name....
Great Ant
Ha, I'm on a roll. I love naming things.
I hate bugs of ANY kind!! I think I would have passed out!!
I agree with Bell. Please change your vacuum bag so I can quit squirming for you.
Once, when my mom's sister S. was 7 months pregnant with my last cousin, she came to visit us. My brother Rob had these oversize plastic insects appropriately named Ant and Spider that he and S. would take turns hiding from each other. Ant and Spider would turn up in the cereal, under bedsheets, in the bathroom sink... so one day S. posed a joke: What is the largest ant in the world? Answer should be a giANT. But Rob in his smartypants way said, "ANT S.!" And it stuck.. now we call her Anty instead of Aunt S. :)
Uh...what color are those ants?
I've got nasty red ones in my back yard that look JUST like that. I had an exterminator come to take care of our paper wasps, and I casually mentioned something about these red ants. He sprayed them for FREE because his son had just been swarmed by these ants and was still recovering.
Thatch ants. That's what he called them. I'm no ant lover.
Also, LMBO at My 5 Boyz ant names.
Very clever.
What a hilarious visual! I can just see them running outside and you running for to suck them up! So funny. And yes, I can see why you're attached. They are kinda cool to watch.
uuuuhhhh ... are you DROWNING those ants?
MorrisBunch Mama--
The ants are slightly reddish in color. The paper says they're "Harvester Ants". I guess even if they do manage to escape and swarm...not a lot of harm 4 ants can do :).
I thought an ant farm would be a good idea for my son, but now I'm re-thinking that. Glad you thought of the vacuum!
How about Eeney, Meeney, Miney and Mo?
I am so glad my kids haven't asked for one of those! We get ants in the summer. I suck them up with my vacuum every morning. Good thinking!
XOXO
Jen
they MAIL ANTS?! and you BUT THEM IN THE FREEZER?! so bizaare! i loved reading and imagining this. hilarious!
I read this aloud to Shane.
We're both crying.
We laughed so hard. Sorry.
The scary "fun" fact at our house this week - you are never more than 3 feet from a spider.
The other Jennifer Petersen (Priscila's sister-in-law)
I honestly want an ant farm now.
I, too, am deathly afraid of ants and yellow jackets, therefor, I was screaming right along with you while reading your blog post. Hugs to you!!!
Ew ew ew ew!! That's what you can name them and give them numbers!! LOL
First, let me say, you are an awesome mom to get those ants for your boy, despite your fears.
I, on the other hand, if I ever have kids, will never ever allow them to get an ant farm. Because this story scared the stuffing out of me and gave me the heebie jeebies. Yuck. I hate ants.
Well, maybe if it stayed outside I would allow it :)
Sorry I haven't commented in a long time. I have not been keeping up on blogs lately.
Ew ew ew ew!! That's what you can name them and give them numbers!! LOL
First, let me say, you are an awesome mom to get those ants for your boy, despite your fears.
I, on the other hand, if I ever have kids, will never ever allow them to get an ant farm. Because this story scared the stuffing out of me and gave me the heebie jeebies. Yuck. I hate ants.
Well, maybe if it stayed outside I would allow it :)
Sorry I haven't commented in a long time. I have not been keeping up on blogs lately.
OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! I have a great ant story too!!! When I was about 5 I liked to have ants crawl on me, weird I know...bare with...I stood over a crack that had a ton of ants crawling up it in hopes that they would "tickle" my legs. Oh they caught on alright, only they weren't black. They were red fire ants and those buggers climb clear up my legs...I was wearing a skirt...I started dancing the fire-ant jig. My dad luckily pulled into the driveway shortly after the burn started. I started crying when he got out of the car, "DADDDDDDD! My CR**** is on fire!! HELP ME!"
Now, when I see ants I immediately stomp on them or pull out some venomous spray!! I am a hater too!!
Miss you...
One more week of grad school and I promise to be a better friend. I take my final exam next Saturday!!!
OK, this made me crack up!! I hope you and your remaining four ants live happily ever after.
Ooh, you are one big, brave girl! I am mildly phobic of stinging bugs, and between last night and this morning I have had to deal with at least 10 in my house!! I tend to be so tentative about trying to kill them that I miss, and then shrieking and running ensue!
Carson, at 10, is really good at killing bees, wasps, yellowjackets, etc. But last week a huge bee came into the house, and 5-year-old princess Mary Ashley came skipping into the room to tell me she killed it with one swing of the broom. I have been so conflicted since then because my immediate response was to tell her not to try to kill them because they might sting her. But then as I've thought about it, am I keeping her from harm or making her afraid of them by telling her to let someone else handle it?
So I've been having deep thoughts about the stinging bugs, as well as the occasional nightmare where I wake up screaming, give my husband a heart attack, and don't remember it in the morning. But that's a different story.
I just found your blog, and was interested because you have 4 boys, too.
At first I was trying not to be jealous, because all 4 of yours are living, but then I saw that you were single, and I knew that there was pain in your life, too.
After reading through your archives a little bit to find out what your story it, I want to tell you that I am amazed at how positive you have been. I can see why so many people read your blog. You are a talented writer, and have found that sweet spot of honesty combined with humor.
I absolutely love this post about the ants and can so relate! I have started to set limits on what living things can be brought inside--finding a large toad under the piano one evening was the last straw. . . :)
Anyway, I'm happy to have "met" you and look forward to reading more.
That's funny--now that the trauma is over. Do you think the four will reproduce without a queen?
Post a Comment