Thursday, May 7, 2009

here's to my mama


As many of you readers know, my mom passed away of cancer in Feb. 2006,with just 6 weeks between her diagnosis and death. That being the case, Mothers Day should, perhaps, be difficult for me. But instead of feeling all sorry that I don't have my sweet mom in my life anymore, I just try and be grateful that I got her for as long as I did.


Somehow, even being 6 months pregnant and crazy emotional, I was able to write and deliver Mom's life sketch at her funeral. I've decided to post an excerpt from it. I think it's a great tribute to an amazing woman who truly lived life like no one else!:


"In June 1979, Delores was widowed after Greg was killed in an auto accident. She always described that time as a turning point in her life--for, while she was never afraid of hard work, her real desire was always to be at home with her children. Not one to sit and feel sorry for herself though, she rolled up her sleeves and set out to make the best of things. She always wanted to give us kids more than just a roof over our heads. She thought we deserved music lessons, roller skating, travel, time to camp and enjoy nature, and the ability to have dinner and ice cream out on a regular basis. We can all remember how hard she worked and the variety of jobs she did to make these things possible. She cleaned houses for builders, helped run cattle, catered for Hewlett-Packard, was a realtor, worked at the layaway department of Woolworths, and did a variety of secretarial work.


As a means of saving gas money one year, Delores purchased a motorcycle to ride to work. Not long after, she was riding in cross-country motorcycle trips and on mountain trails. She and Wayne and their friends enjoyed many outings on the bikes together. The only time Mom every spoke even a semi-unkind word of Wayne would be to describe some of the steep and difficult trails he would choose to ride on. She would usually finish a distance behind him, but she never gave up!


She also tried her hand at skiing, snorkeling, crafts, snowmobiling, and tennis; and co-captained her boat around North and Central America and everywhere in between. Hers was a life of adventure many can only dream about..


Like most Grandmas, Delores adored her grandchildren, and she was their best pal too. She was not the stand around and bake cookies kind of Grandma--though she did her fair share of that--but you would more than likely find her on the floor carrying children on her back, or sleeping in a tent pitched in the living room with them.


What set Mom apart and made her so unforgettable was that she woke up each day and lived to make others' lives better. She called store clerks and waiters by their names and genuinely wanted to know how their days were going. She talked to fussy babies in shopping carts. She wrote a letter to some friend or relative nearly every day. Her smile and enthusiasm were as contagious as her warm laugh. Even after learning her days on this earth were coming to an end, she continued on in her humor and positive attitude--always thinking of others before herself, and taking time to visit with every one who came to see her. She loved living and loved life, and the influence and example of her goodness will continue to be felt by me every day."


.....and that's still the truth Mom. Now more than ever. Happy Mothers Day.

25 comments:

Trish said...

Beautiful!

and through this I can see why you are who you are.


Happy Mother's Day. I know your boys will be good to you!

Unknown said...

What an awesome Mom you had!

I went VT today and my comp shared from Barbara Thompson's Conference talk which touched on service. We talked about how in this world people have become so "what's in it for me?" and how we've lost the importance of being Christlike and serving others. The last paragraph of your mom's life sketch makes it sound like that was something she mastered.

How lucky you were to be raised that way! I also had great examples growing up and hope to teach my children by living my life that way.

Julie

Kristi said...

No wonder you're so awesome. I love your mom.

||| laura frantz ||| said...

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much for sharing about your mama. You are incredibly lucky to have had such a mom in your life. She has inspired me to live my life to the fullest today. :)

Bell said...

Sounds like an amazing woman. No wonder you are so strong and full of life yourself. You had a great example!

Happy Mother's Day to YOU!

Carrin said...

Friday morning and I am in tears over the loving words you wrote of your mother. I can tell she lived a blessed life. You must miss her very much.

Brittany Ann said...

It sounds like your mom was a charming, funny, beautiful woman. So, it genetic then, makes sense. :)

jori-o said...

Happy Mother's Day! You are her living legacy.

Becky said...

I hope you have a wonderful Mothers Day full of little boy kisses and fond memories of a wonderful mother.

Themorrisbunch said...

Happy Mother's Day to a wonderful woman!!!

Anonymous said...

what an inspiration for all us single moms to define our lives for ourselves and not be identified by our "singleness"!

Thanks for sharing Jen!

Melissa Lester said...

What an amazing mother you had! And I think she would agree that she has an equally amazing daughter. Happy Mother's Day, friend!

'T' said...

We're so blessed to know what we know... That you'll see her again... Not she can watch over you and your boys. Have a wonderful Mother's Day Jennifer!

Susie said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom!

Kylee said...

That was beautiful..I hope that you have an amazing Mother's Day with many blessings. You deserve it.

Michelle said...

Simply beautiful....such a sweet tribute to your mom. I'm jealous, (not in a mean way though). What a great example for you. Have a wonderful mothers day with your children!

Summer Miller said...

Mothers day is hard for me too. I don't like to celebrate me as a mom without my mom here to celebrate too.

Brian and Staci said...

Truly beautiful! Sounds like an extraordinary woman! I don't know how you were able to pull yourself together for that??!!! Just a little help from Him...only way I'm sure! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!!

Brian and Staci said...

Truly beautiful! Sounds like an extraordinary woman! I don't know how you were able to pull yourself together for that??!!! Just a little help from Him...only way I'm sure! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!!

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh, Jennifer. This is absolutely beautiful. I'm not surprised to hear how wonderful your mom was/is.......I don't think she could have nurtured a more wonderful daughter if you didn't take after her.

Happy Mother's Day!

BrnEyedGal said...

That was so touching...she is looking down on you today with such joy!!
I hope your day was so special with your sons...you deserve it!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

she sounds like she was an amazing woman. What a great role model.

Yep....you've done it again...you've made me cry.

Jenni said...

And you are your mother's daughter. I have a feeling your boys will have just as many, and similar, things to say about you.

shortmama said...

Wow what a beautiful woman she must have been, inside and out. I aspire to have the same kind words said about me.

Stu Pidasso said...

That is one heck of an example to live by and I am glad that you had it. Who would have known that watching your mother go through that would help prepare you to weather the storm when you needed to. Must run in the genes.

Great post!