I had so much fun reading back through my whole summer of '93 journal, that I just had to share another entry. This one was from June 10th--my 18th birthday. It was my second time in Germany as an exchange student, but I'd only been there 4 days at this point. I think the whole entry was a good read "as is", but I did a little editing again--mostly the places where I erupted into a paragraph or two of broken German....
Thursday June 10, 1993
I'm laying here in my German bed and watching the sun come up over the tiny village of Berg. The birds are singing beautifully. Even "chirp-chirp" sounds kind of foreign here. About an hour ago the church bells were ringing. It feels good to be back. I really missed this place! Two years was a long time to be away! I'm not sure when I'll be back again, so I'm going to (try!) to enjoy every moment of my stay.
Well, it's my birthday today--the big 18!!! WOW! I feel SO old! I'm even getting a wrinkle.
(entry finished that night:)
At breakfast, there were all these presents surrounding my plate. I think this is a German tradition (?). Miriam gave me "Beauty and the Beast" in German (Die Schoene und das Beist). Her brother gave me chocolate. Her grandparents gave me roses. And her mom gave me perfume and is paying my way to Paris. Pretty cool, eh? Breakfast was eaten in silence though. Miriam's mom and brother know some English--but not a whole lot. Dang!--I wish I knew this language better. The Germans always ask these deep, probing questions about sexism and racism and politics and I have NO IDEA how to even begin to tell them what's in my head and do it "auf Deutsch". I can tell them things like :Wie viel ist eine Luftpost Briefmarke fuer diesen Brief? (How much is an airmail stamp for this letter?) and Schau mal! Die vielen Zebras! (Look at all the Zebras!). That's helpful, right?
After breakfast, I called my American friends Stoney and Heidi and invited them to my party at 4:00. The party was a lot of fun. I got to meet all of Miriam's friends and her boyfriend, Rolf. He kind of gave me the heebie-jeebies. He gives those low-waisted hugs where it seems like he's trying to touch your tushie. Everyone brought me presents. Mostly gummis and chocolate. I'm going to get so fat!
When Stoney and Heidi arrived, we all sat out on the indoor porch and attempted a game of German Scrabble. Then everyone walked to the Berg Eisdiele and got some ice cream. From there, we went to the most dangerous place in any German city : THE PARK! Seriously, the things they pass off as playground equipment here are like suicide toys. No wonder there are never any actual children in the parks! Heidi and I played on the teeter-totter LAYING DOWN--and then the two of us got on one side and made Stoney get on the other and nearly LAUNCHED him! HA! HA! Next, the three of us got on a wooden bridge and were jumping up and down and hollering (like this: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!). Some old, cranky guy on the bike path came and yelled at us. He said we were annoying him and for us to come down. We just pretended we didn't understand a word he was saying (though we did. Angry German people are surprisingly easy to understand!). We started jumping again as soon as he left! TOO FUNNY!
On our way back from the park, it started to rain--light at first and then coming down in buckets. We all linked arms and danced around singing the "Brady Bunch" theme song and then made a conga line down the street, splashing in every puddle we could find. My poor Doc Martens! Bettina actually sat down in one of the puddles and pretended to swim. We were all just living in the moment! When we decided to finally go inside , we were soaking wet, but laughing our heads off. It wasn't exactly what I pictured my 18th birthday party would be like, but it was fun nonetheless. Better get to sleep now. I have German Chemistry class in the morning. Yeah--like I'm gonna understand any of that.....
Friday, June 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
What? I'm the first comment? No one has beaten me to it? I'm so glad to know that you rocked the Docs in '93. I can remember what I was doing. My sister had just graduated high school and I was about to turn 16 and get my license...whoooo hoooo! Oh, and I bet 18 doesn't feel so old anymore! Not that 33 is old. Ok, I'm digging my hole. I'll be 31 in two weeks, so I think 18 is nowhere near old. Neither is 40, 50, or even 60!
18 and have a wrinkle? Hehe. I was 16 with gray hair. But I didn't get to have my gray hair in a foreign country. How neat to have been an exchange student! How long did it take for you to understand that German Chem class?
Caroline,
I wouldn't trade the experience for the youth, but I am trying to view myself as NOT OLD now :)!
Kat,
I NEVER understood German chemistry....or English chemistry! (and I was gray at 17!)
Hehe, too funny!
I was in Germany 2 years ago but only stayed inside the airport and had a long nap in a hotel that was ALSO in the airport. Talk about blah.
Anyways, it was on my way to South Africa to visit my family. That was a fun filled time...mostly because just my mum, sister and me went...no boys!
I love reading your German stories. Despite five years of German study I never went and I wish I had. Also, I love that your writing and sense of humor at 18 is not so different from it is now.
You've had a lot of great adventures! Lucky girl.
Jenni--
I had to kind of laugh at your comment, though I know you didn't mean it as funny---but, yes, I think I reached my intellectual "peak" at 18 and have just been 'maintaining' it ever since :)!
I am officially jealous of the adventuring that you have done. It's weird to think that we are the same age and just how different our paths were and look where we are. Yours was definitely a more exciting path than mine was.
Didn't you sound just like a bunch of dorky 18 year olds? I love it. I went to Rexburg a few days ago and just sat in awe at the way they all acted. I couldn't have possibly acted like that at 18. ;) I love to reminesce with my old journals too. Great times!
All I have to say is...you are WAY cool! That's it...just too stinkin' cool! Even then, you could write like nobody's business :)
I can't believe you posted this one on Friday, and I totally missed it!! I think I had "Wheel of Fortune" on my mind (it will make sense later when you see my blog).
This day just sounded so 18 year old like, fun and care free, and ready to have fun. Those friends you had sounded amazing too. I had a friend named Stoney also. I thought he was the only man in the world with that name. He saw two of my most embarrassing moments in my life. It involved falling, but a pretty devistating fall, not just any old fall. He said, "oh Miki, don't fall like that in front of me" trying to smooth it over for me. Anyway, fun post.
It is so fun to read about your adventures. I feel like I missed out on so much of that part of your life because I was busy getting married (boy I was young). I may have missed that adventure but at least we have the cemetery!
Post a Comment