However, in order to win this little financial victory--I have steadily avoided two places: The Costco and The Mall. And GUESS where I had to go this week---The Costco and The Mall. And as soon as I walked into those shiny meccas of impulse buying, I was all: "Dave who? I gotta buy me some of these!":
We will eat them for lunch for a few days.....so they're justified, right?!
And of course some of these---I'm pretty sure Costco's secret ingredient in these is cocaine. Why else would any one in their right mind buy and consume giant 692 calorie muffins? They're just scary good to the point that something in them must be illegal.....
So I slipped to the tune of $12.00 at the Costco. We'll thin our milk with water and bake our own bread to make up for it.
But then, I went to the mall------ because my 2 year old got hold of my very nice sunglasses. And very nicely broke them beyond repair. My bad for leaving them just out of arm's reach. I guess he took it as a challenge....
Anyway, I thought the mall's endless selection would be the best place to cost compare sunglasses; and with my very light-sensitive eyes, they are a need Mr. Ramsey, a need(!) On my way from Macy's to Dillard's, I got accosted by one of those cosmetic kiosk girls. I usually cling to the wall and try and look harried so I don't have to sample or answer anything--but this time I was alone and got kind of lost looking in the window of Williams-Sonoma, and before I knew it--there she was--telling me how lovely I was and that she had something to show me. She then proceeded to pull out this special nail buffing tool and use it on my poor ugly, interior-designin', hole-diggin', lawn-mower pushin', never-seem-to-be-growin' nails. And in just a few seconds--voila! ----------I got a little teary-eyed because those nails of mine looked so durned pretty! Really--they were all shiny and rounded like I'd just gotten a manicure (which I haven't gotten since my wedding day). So guess who totally fell off the no impulse buying wagon?:
Please Dave Ramsey, don't get angry at me! I will use coupons and have my friend cut my hair this month and sell an underused body part, but really---just look how pretty:
and oh my! My hands are starting to look like my mothers....
On the positive side, I guess I can give myself a little credit for NOT impulsively buying this 1961 Aston Martin DB4/GT Zagato Coupe:

But man! I really wanted to!!!.....
How about you guys? Where do you have to avoid going to stay within your budget? And is Dave your boyfriend too?
*and Miki---check out the second song "Bleeding Love" on my playlist. I'll bet you'll want to download it too :)!
42 comments:
Dave is not my boyfriend, too demanding of my hard earned money that I deserve to spend foolishly. But kinda a good idea.....things that make you go hmmm.
I have a hard time at Sam's. You just can buy so many things and things that you never really knew that you needed but must cause it is all there.
Loved this blog!!!
A note just to me!!!! WEEEE! You must have seen me making my "comment way" up your blog!! I've had such an enjoyable evening catching up, and commenting my way through.
I think you're catching on to my music style! Yes, I do love that song. It has one tinsy winsy flaw though...are you ready to really get to know me? If songs aren't diverse enough, I get bored...
It is, however, a Miki song, and I have contemplated putting it on my playlist for quite some time now.
How in the heck did you know? Did my "Play that Funky Music White Boy" song tip you off? lol... I do love that song though.
Anyway!!
Budgets.....they're my favorite, absolute friend! I LOVES ME BUDGETS. I'm hooked on your phrase now.
I just had to erase a ton of words because I could go on and on and on.....and on. Money, I keep it. I actually feel bad saying that. I feel so awkward about NOT SPENDING it as a matter of fact, that it's kind of a dirty secret. When I'm with family, or friends, I try to disguise and buy things...but in private, oh, I'm such a penny pincher!
I'm such a list person (groceries, errands, etc). My newest favorite trick....drafting to save on gas. So bad. I'm obsessed.
I have to be honest I had never heard of Dave Ramsay until I started blogging. I think the first time I'd heard his name was when the Nester talked about him...since then I see him everywhere. Having said that, my weak spots are TARGET TARGET TARGET, Costco, Michael's and Kirkland's (home goods type store). I cannot go into those stores without coming out with something I don't need. So I try to stay away! Except when I need toothpaste and toilet paper ;)
As for you, it sounds like you got to shop while you were alone...that is wonderful! So enjoy your splurges. At least you didn't buy that 100 something thousand dollar car. You can save that for when you are published and on the NY Times Bestseller list.
As you may know, my splurge is Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft. Unfortunately for Dave, I received about $220 for my birthday - some of which was in the form of nice little plastic cards with Ann's name on them. I plan to go and splurge there and get all of about 3 shirts for that $220! Just kidding, I'm gonna try and stretch it seeing as I need several new items in my dysfunctional wardrobe.
Stay away from the mall and Costco!! And the cosmetic girls are demonic! Glad you held firm on the Aston Martin. :) Hang in there, we all "fall off the wagon" now and then. Your hands do look lovely.
Lisa Q
lifewiththequeens.blogspot.com
Good for you! I think even Dave would understand. Maybe......:-) I'm pretty much dedicated to a budget. I also love budgets. I love them because they give me the freedom to splurge if I've done my job well and have a bit left over. I don't think I have a specific store......but things sometimes do slip in my cart at Target. Oh and there are coffee shops that my car occasionally veers for against my strong arms.
target for me, for sure. i am pretty self controlled in most other places, but muffins sometimes come home with me from costco, too. (:
my mom got me some of that nail stuff for christmas too. i like it-hopefully it helps your hands too! (:
I have never been a budget conscious person. I always assumed that money grew on trees. Then I had a very sick kid, the house values dropped, then gas went through the roof, then a change in pay . . . now I know that I have to avoid Sams, Costco, Target, Roberts, Michaels, Kneaders Bakery, the Pie Pizzeria . . . Let's just say I should just sit by the pool all summer and never leave my house.
(I have that nail stuff and it is fabulous!)
Target is my downfall. I go in for toothpaste and detergent and leave spending $50! How does that happen?
I have not been to the mall in over 2 years. I think that is how we got debt free :-) But my weaknesses are book stores and Target. I'm infamous at Target. I can go in looking for a $2 card and spend $400 like no one can. It's a gift. And I try so hard at the bookstore to just make a list of what I want so I can look for it at the library. But it's impossible to walk out of there without something...
I like to think that I am pretty controlled about not impulse buying. But every once in a while I fall victim to cute clothes for my kids. (This is such a funny song to go with today's post. I heard it on the radio about a week ago and thought "This would be a perfect blog song with a great post.", and voila here it is.)
Yup, we're on the DR plan too. But since we are a family of five living only on one income and we bought our home two years ago, there isn't hardly any extra money to spend on something that isn't a necessity! :) I would have to say avoiding fast food places has really helped out our budget. You can drop $20 in one week and not even realize it because it was just $5 for that meal...
And just for the record, if I had extra funds to splurge a little, I totally am with you on the muffins and nail machine...lol!
You should be really proud of yourself, sticking to a budget is not easy...GOOD JOB!
Blessings!
Mrs. Q
Oh and Jennifer, your post sparked a post of mine...
You can check it out at:
http://fiveinthepottershand.blogspot.com/2008/07/avoiding-those-arches-bells-and-crowns.html
Blessings!
Mrs. Q
I love the song choice. Especially the weird things they want to buy. That would be me. Must stay away from Target, or Costco (It's bulk and bargain right? you can buy more!) But my BIGGEST weakness is Banana Republic. In fact while I was in that fine city of yours this weekend I made a trip and dropped a couple hundred. I had coupons and reward cards (Not that they covered THAT much)
I don't need Dave Ramsey, though. I have my husband to curb all my want purchases. But I know how to negotiate with him:) To bad he has a few tricks of his own.
Queen,
Dave is a good boyfriend--just a little controlling :).
Miki,
It was fun to watch your comments pop up one after another. Welcome home ;)! I should have known you wouldn't need Dave Ramsey--you should write your own plan!
Debbie,
My hour alone was quite wonderful! And now I have to add Michael's to my list too!
Caroline,
I am so jealous of your Ann Taylor money! Wanna share :)?!
Lisa,
I have wanted a vintage Aston Martin, or Austin-Healey, or Porsche Spyder for as long as I can remember. One day.....
Karli,
SO glad I'm not the only one taken in by the nail lady!
Lee Ann,
It's so good to see your name up here again. Missed you girl!
Summer,
Stay by the pool :)!!!
Carrie,
Target is just evil--that's how!
Elena,
Your kids always do look cute! I've had this song up here for forever and have just been waiting for the perfect post to use it with. The Barenaked Ladies are great!!!
Mrs. Q.--
I hear ya on the fast food! That was one of the first things to go! We still do half-price happy meals on Tuesdays now and then, but that's about it. Can't wait to read your post!
Jenni--
Wonder if that means that we were at the mall at the same time too?!
It's so nice to know that I am the only one who caves at Costco. I can walk in there thinking "All we need is milk and cheese" and walk out htinking I really REALLY needed the purple bug zapper that works both inside and outside my house." While you're inside Costco you're thinking "We can find a place for this in our budget," but the second you leave that giant garage door you say to yourself "What the heck I'm I going to do with THIS?"
Ah, Dave...dave...dave... I love him, I hate him. He's a genius and has helped us tremendously, but it has taken a will power of steel not to cave and impulse buy. Yeah, I fall off the Ramsey wagon too, but for the most part I am a very good girl. For the most part...
omg! i have that nail thing too! i got mine as a gift for christmas one year... but ive made many MANY other impulse purchases in its place.
I broke up with Dave, he was too neurotic for me. Of course now I cannot go to the grocery store for 8 days, ....but I am rid of Dave.
I truly just try not to go to the mall--ever! I CANNOT say no to most things! However, yesterday, I went to Target...BY MYSELF...and $200.00 later...because no children were with me to distract from all the cute little dresses and blouses that were on sale...let's just say, I had a little impulse-buying fest all by myself! (Sorry that was a long sentence and hard to follow!) Hey, ya know, every now and then it's okay, right? I like your thoughts on diluting the milk with water :) You are so funny! Okay, so gotta run, sweet husband just asked me to look up some stuff for him...and I am a dutiful wife and all..who else is gonna pay for those impulse buying fests ???!!!
ah impulse buying, the bane of American people's existence. i try to just not go shopping period. i go grocery shopping at 6:30 in the AM on saturday morning so i don't have to shop with other people (i sound snobbish, don't i? but i get done a lot faster!)
i do the go home and think about it trick (one of my mission companions taught me that one) it works really well...and considering that we have no extra funds, there is just no room for impulse buying in our budget...though i am sure if we did have the extra funds...there could be a REAL problem on our hands!
Those nail girls have tried to get me, whilst out shopping, too. I usually have kids in tow, and there is no way they would wait patiently with me.
Never heard of Dave. Will have a look now.
P.S. I did have a $10 off coupon for any purchase over $100 at Target when I had my big impulse day! (It expires tomorrow, so, ya know, I HAD to use it!) Can you tell I am STILL justifying the impulses!
I just finished watching my Dave Ramsey video for tonight and well wheww it can be hard! Not having my debit card at Micheals this weekend was so hard! I am bad at impulse buying. Dave is my new best friend, becuase boy he knows whats up and I apparently have been doin it wrong! He is so cute and funny!
Dave who? hehe. I so totally don't listen to this guy but his name keeps popping up everywhere.
I'm suspicious of people telling others how to live their lives, I admit it. :o)
I listen to ol' Dave every now and then when I can catch him on the radio...but I haven't pledged anything to him, so I'm still safe, which of course means I'm still into impulse buying *hanging head in shame* but I will say that I totally relate to you, with the Target deal...I will push things around in the cart and the put them back before I make it to the register, lol
I like Dave's cousin, Marshall, much more! He is a cartoonist. I much prefer men who make me laugh!!
LOl...I see the NEED...jelly beans for lunch...hmmm...that's clever.
I think you should get Costco and the mall envelopes, you know... just in case.
Congrats on being featured at SITS today!
Hi-
Found you on the SITS blog. Impulse shopping is my middle name. I've had to go cold turkey and it's been HARD!
I've basically become a shut in because I leave the house with the best intentions and come home with something hidden in the trunk.
I laughed so hard when I saw that the "THESE" was a jar of jelly bellies. Sometimes ya gotta have what ya gotta have.
Dave Ramsey is not my boyfriend, but Suze Orman is my husband's girlfriend. And since he doesn't spend a penny of his hard earned money, I can get by being my relatively cheap self and not thinking too much about the occasional treat (like a pair of $10 sunglasses at walmart that are cuter than the perfectly good 5 year old ones I already had). Lucky me. :-)
I have to avoid stores like walmart and target that have everything we need from groceries to clothes to junk! :) I'm much better off going in a store that only sales what I'm shopping for.
Hi, I just found your site today and I wanted to tell you that I used to go steady with Dave Ramsey, I mean we were tight! Then, hubby and I fell off the wagon hard and like a couple of losers we never got back on. We still don't have debt but we definitely have no savings. STAY ON THE WAGON GIRL!!!!!
Oh Dave, how I miss you and your budgeting prowess!!!
Hey SITSta! Congrats on being featured today!
Dave and I are more like siblings. We love eachother but hate eachother at the same time. That and he gave me a noogie the other day cause I bought a strawberry canister at the antique mall. THAT is the place where I blow my budget everytime!
Great blog!!!
it's my second time on your blog and this time I will not leave before commenting (meant to last time, but got too sucked into all the wonderful posts, lost all track of time, and had to madly fly around the house attempting to simultaneously clean while cooking dinner in the 13 seconds I had between hearing the garage door going up--signaling hubby was home from work--and the moment he walked through the door to find me NOT on the computer!--mission accomplished!)
This post made me Laugh Out Loud--really! Dave does get around--he is also MY boyfriend...and I have to agree, he is quite the tyrant! but--oh! how I love him :) JUST made a trip to Costco (dog and cat food needed) and actually left having only bought one thing that was not on my list--and it was NOT the couch that was oh so cozy and would fit perfect in our living room--it was a box of sandwich baggies, because I suddenly remembered how tired I was of wrapping sanwiches in saran wrap since running out of baggies last month. oh my, this comment has turned into a post of its own. just really wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your writing. you have blessed me. thank you:)
I'm curious how much those jelly beans were! Very tempting...and I'm loving that car too!
Umm, my last trip to Costco cost me $540 dollars... I went for meat, dog food and ziplock bags and came home with: Flowers (they have the nicest ones don't they?), golf gloves, photo albums, 3 pairs of pants for DH and A BIKE! That's right! AND not just a kids bike a real honest to goodness big people bike...Mmmhmm, Costco is the gate to good intentions HELL! Oh yeah, and we bought meat, ziplocks and dog food. :P
You are cracking me up! Here by the way of SITS, and I'm thrilled to find you! I LOVE your blog design! I'll definitely be back!
I don't even have a Sam's membership anymore cause I can't handle the place. I don't visit eBay anymore for the same reason! Environmental control--if I don't go, I can't spend! LOL
Dave and I have been flirting shamelessly for the last few months unfortunately I'm finding myself a little commitment shy. My husband keeps trying to seduce me back to Dave way with promises of a new house with fancy furnishings and no credit card payments but Target and Costco keep luring me into temptation. It's such a struggle. What a girl to do?
If that Aston Martin ever came my way I'd consider selling my husband to get my hands on it. Holy cow, that thing is gorgeous.
I love your blog! Found you through SITS. :D
Enjoy your SITS feature day! I have lurked here before, but not sure if I commented!
Yep, Dave is my "sorta-boyfriend". You know, the one that you don't really commit to fully, but just sort of keeps poking around trying to get your attention, and eventualy you just give in and call him your boyfriend because he wore you down? That's my Dave.
Seriously, just NOT GOING somewhere is the only way I have been able to control the budget!
Dave comes on a little to strong for me, but I would probably have a little more self control at Target if I would just listen to him. There are SO MANY pretty things there. I try to just avoid that place all together.
Post a Comment