Monday, April 13, 2009

easter...one year later


Easter has come and gone. We had a good time on Saturday having a breakfast with church members and friends, followed by an egg hunt. I did Easter baskets on Saturday too so that we could spend Sunday focusing on the spiritual side of the holiday. Didn't have any invites for Easter dinner, so the boys and I just spent it here at home---ate homemade waffles picnic-style. watched that perennial Easter favorite "Elf", and enjoyed one another's company and laughter.

As peaceful as it all was, Easter was bittersweet for me too. It was the last holiday I needed to spend to complete the one year cycle since my separation/divorce.

Last Easter was horrible. Awful. I can't even tell you the dark place I was in. I was walking numb. If you look back at my blog post from last Easter--you'll see us coloring eggs and doing Easter-y things. I was trying so hard to just write things normal. In reality, my husband had left. I had no idea where he was at or if he was coming home. All I had was an email full of confessions. I was terrified and heart sick and so very, very confused. And yet I had four boys who thought their dad was just gone out of town for business, who simply wanted to "have Easter". I look back at that day now--that whole chain of days in March and April in fact--and wonder how I did it. I had no choice obviously. I had no one else to step in and do it for me. And yet I cannot deny that the main source of a strength beyond my own came from THE Source.


I so badly at that time wanted the Lord to calm the storm raging around me. To miraculously make everything right and whole again. He chose not to. But he did, little by little, and with a surety, calm the storm within me. Some might reason that everyone--believers or not--will come to feel better about a situation with time. But I testify that were it not for my faith, I would not have lived through that period in my life. The pain was too great. I was carried and you can never persuade me otherwise.

My friend told me once that divorced people are like seeing a man with an eye patch. The patch adds a sense of dashing mystery to the man's appearance, but the fact still is--the man has been through a maiming experience.


So....I guess I'm the lady with the eye patch. But I'm a thankful lady. And a happy lady. And a funny lady who has probably sewn something nonsensically silly like "Frankie Say Relax" onto said eye patch. I am a mother. And a friend. And a sister. And a daughter of my Heavenly Father.

And so I give such thanks for the simple Easter that it was this year. I give thanks for just watching my boys inspect their baskets and be excited for every little dollar store treat they pulled out of them. I give thanks for syrup-sticky fingers. I give thanks for scraps of foil candy wrappers on my floor. I give thanks for the fact that I wake up in the morning and think about "mom things" again instead of how jumbled my life has become. I can now add to this repertoire of gratitude: not having to think "this time last year we were together...." and all the raw emotions that thought always managed to scrape up. I am thankful-- truly, truly thankful that I am still alive.

And that I am 365 days wiser.

Hope your Easter filled you with gratitude as well.

38 comments:

Trish said...

Oh dear friend, I love this! I love you! I love what you embody and I love that you are vulnerable enough to tell us all that you could not have done it on your own.

You are strong. You are brave. You are wise.

i cannot believe that it has been a year.

You are continually in my prayers, thanks so much for the vulnerability and also for the encouragement you have offered me in my own marriage.

Jenny said...

Happy Easter.

You have written such a lovely and positive post.

xxx

Bell said...

One of the last things Jesus said was that we are to be witnesses. Witnesses of the things that He has done in our lives. You are doing that.

How lovely that you are making your eye patch cool and stylish rather than complaining about your maiming. :)

Brittany Ann said...

You are such a wonderful and amazing person. Reading your blog is a testimony builder. And you are a testament to divorce survivors everywhere. I'm glad you had such a beutiful Easter. Have a great Monday!

Lisa said...

How wonderful that you have grown from this journey instead of becoming bitter. God is able to to do so much when we are willing vessels.
Take care my friend and know that you are loved.

Lisa Q

Kristi said...

Love this. I'm one of many also very glad you're still alive! Praise God!!

Susie said...

What a great and thoughtful post! I hope you have many more Happy Easters to come:-)

Elena said...

Oh man...the second the song came on my heart was instantly taken back to that awful time. Those were some TOUGH days! (They were hard enough for Jarom and I; I can't even imagine for you.) However, like you said, the strength of the Lord has been with you every step of the way. And you have been such an example to everyone throughout this whole ordeal. I know you will never forget, but hopefully time has/will continue to lessen the pain.

Happy Easter and waffles sound like a great Easter dinner.

Jenni said...

I think we are all glad you were carried through it all. You have reminded we what Easter is all about--what life is all about. Thank you taking us on this journey with you. I hope it has helped you as much as it has helped others. Have I told you lately how great you are?--and what a fabulous mother you are? You are, and more. Here's to a great year!

Brian and Staci said...

YOU...my sweet, sweet friend, are truly amazing :) I can't even imagine what this last year has been like for you but you are on top of it now!!!! I know there is so much greatness in store for you! Happy belated Easter Jennifer P.!!!!

Brian and Staci said...

YOU...my sweet, sweet friend, are truly amazing :) I can't even imagine what this last year has been like for you but you are on top of it now!!!! I know there is so much greatness in store for you! Happy belated Easter Jennifer P.!!!!

'T' said...

Elder Holland's talk will never leave my life the same. May you be carried by the Savior's atoning sacrifice throughout your heartaches and loneliness, just as he spoke of. My prayers haven't been the same since that talk. I pray for everything and everyone. We're all in this together... and I'll keep praying for you.

The Draper Fam said...

Love you, Jen. I will never forget this entry. So well said. It tugs on my heart strings because of experiences I have also gone through, although different circumstances.

I could NEVER imagine YOU with an eye patch because of your experience... to me you wear a cape with an "S" on your shirt. Your super powers are more inspiring than you will ever know.

What lucky boys,too.

Sunshine said...

You are just beautiful...completely beautiful. xoxo

Summer Miller said...

Easter has always been a sign of renewal to me and it looks like it is to you too. I am going to have to email you all about our Easter.

Kylee said...

I am glad that you had a relaxing Easter with the boys. I think the simplicity of things are more special.
I was doing the same thing last year. Looking back to where I was, however at that time I had no idea that anything was going on. But, things were not good. I have a few more months to go until I make it through the holidays, but I am looking forward to getting them out of the way.
Have a good week! Oh and congrats on your A work on your typewriter project!

Miki said...

During Conference this year, I was BAWLING....not just any old bawling...but bawling with the ugly face that you have to hide (thankfully, I was at home) thinking of you during "that talk". I wish I could remember who gave it, but it was the one where he started off talking to "those of us who are alone" specifically referring to the many people who are left alone by divorce, death, and all manner of other things. It was one of the best talks I ever heard, about the Savior, about His time spent...alone.

Oh man...just thought of you and me during that whole talk. I'm so glad we're members of the church.

Miki said...

OH! I totally forgot to say! SO SORRY TOO that I've not been blogging...AT ALL lately. I've been enamored with other things lately, and the bloggy bug has yet to bite me and entice me back to the computer! I'm glad to hear your student life has kept you just as busy so that I don't have to feel so guilty!

;)

BlueCastle said...

God is so good and faithful. I'm so thankful that He's carried you through and brought you to this place. It was about a year ago that I found your wonderful, funny, witty blog and I have truly loved coming to visit you here. You inspire me.

The Nester said...

Yeah, you look totally awesome in your eye patch.

dashing mystery. What a neat description!

Ashley said...

You are very strong. I'm glad you've completed your holiday cycle now. Wishes for only happier and meaningful holidays ahead! :)

Jennifer Paganelli said...

Oh Jen P , my name sake and friend....You know it's a funny thing about blogging that we touch lives and care about those folks who come by and make us feel make us laugh. You are a poet, you are a wonderful mom and a comedian and a beautiful child of God that I am grateful to know. Those dark places are for a reason they shadow us at times and it feel like we'll never make it through and that's when I pray loudly Lord I believe help my unbelief....So glad you are in a better place and the boys will benefit from the wisdom gained...what I do
know is that joy is equisite when we rely on him...love, Jennifer

Lee Ann said...

I have not passed one.single.Easter Lily this year without thinking of you.

I remember looking back through your posts - after you broke the news - looking for a sign of it all going terribly wrong. And you posted that he brought you a lily....and your story of your mom bringing you a lily. Ok, tears coming to my eyes. What a long 365 days it has been. Thanks for showing us your vulnerability as well as the source of your strength.

Mama Nut said...

I've been keeping an eye on you (so to speak) since last summer when I chanced upon your blog via Tip Junkie. Jennifer P., you are one strong woman. You made the full year cycle and are a stronger person because of it. Thanks for your testimony. It strengthens mine.

Unknown said...

Oh my, well next year you're coming here then! No one should have no Easter invites! xoxo

Cailean said...

What a wonderful Easter post. You are such a strong person and so nice of you to share with us your testimony of life as you know it now!

Lula! said...

You are 365 days wiser...and have experienced 365 more days of God's love, peace, comfort, and strength. It makes all the difference in the world, of course.

I'm so proud of you...and I kinda want to be like you when I grow up.

Katy said...

Nice way of thinking about all of this Jennifer. I'm glad you all had a nice and quiet and thankful Easter, that's what it's about right.
Watching the Elf and having waffles for Easter....sounds awesome to me girl!!
Have a great week my friend.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

It is a hard road and one, I am afraid to tell you that does not end there. If and when you make the leap and join the M group again, there arises another set of "If we make it past this". I really never believed it but it was true for me at least. But so glad when I made it past it all. Making it although extremely hard is part of the test that we all must face and not many of us do it with as much strength and courage as you have. You are an amazing example of living life no matter what it gives you and doing it with dignity and extreme, unwavering faith.♥

Sissy said...

It certainly has been quite a year for you. But I am so thankful that our Lord has been with you and has given you peace. I can't imagine waking up to the morning when he left and wondering what you would do next.

Oh, I love that Josh Radin song.

Aubrey said...

You're a lot better than I would have been.

So does the HCMM hace a pirate eye patch and a hook? That would be very sexy.

Trish said...

Oh, I've got goosebumps. Well done. I'm such a fan of your optimistic take on life, and your steadfast and immovable faith. You are fantastic and special, and adapting your experiences to touch others (many unknown) in a fantastic and special way.

And if there's any cooler saying to put on an eye patch, I'll never think of it.

;)

Shannon said...

Wow..has it been a year. In some ways I can't believe it's been a year and in others...it seems longer.

It's hard to look back on the pain..but inspiring to see how far God takes you when you hold tightly onto Him!

Martha said...

Jennifer,
The way you describe your life a year ago is scarily close to the way I describe mine right now. My husband just moved out a couple weeks ago. I still don't understand exactly why. I suspect depression...at least. So here I am with my three boys, going through horrid roller-coaster emotions....yet...I am aware of so many incredible tender mercies from my Father in Heaven, and I know I am being carried, too. I have no idea what the future will bring, but I know He will take care of us.
I've been a lurker on your blog off and on for a while. I just want to say thanks for opening up about so much here. It's good for me to *see* someone SURVIVING what you have, with your faith intact. Especially right now.

Tracy said...

Hey Jennifer,

I read your blog from time to time and think you are deserving of this Award I too was nominated for and so I nominate you as well for the Attitude of Gratitude Award!

To see what you need to do next, assuming you accept (it involves nominating some others also)...see my post here
http://www.halloffamemoms.com/2009/04/attitude-of-gratitude-award-and-some-more-news/

I'll be praying for your family as you go through this time of transition (to say the least)!

Tracy

Debbie said...

You are a gift to many people JP. Your witness over the last year is nothing but extraordinary...your faithfulness is and will continue to be rewarded. xoxooxoxox

Anonymous said...

Jen....God did calm the storm...just like you said...within you.

I remember in my dark weeks after my husband left yelling to the heavens "You have to do something!!!!"

He did. He gave me strength. Strength I use every day. Even still...5 years later.

I'm so glad your "mom things" days have returned.

365 days wiser....doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Much love to you today! And all days.

Hautemama said...

Jennifer- In a blogging world full of happily married girls with seemingly "perfect" families, you are so refreshing. I, too, am a divorced Mom with boys and many times in my life felt very alone after my ugly divorce. If only I had been able to read about another Mother going through the same thing, I might have felt better about being in my situation. It's been 7 years for me and I never stop counting the years, but the memories of the divorce sting a lot less.