Wednesday, November 10, 2010

oh the things that pop up

 My mom made a fabulous comparison once: She said that trials in life are like a game of Whack-a-Mole. As soon as you smack one down, another one pops up...but at least you're having fun playing. So true. At least I think I'm having fun. Maybe I'm having soooo much fun that it's time for someone else to have a little fun for a while? :)

Went in to my advisor on Monday with my well laid out, downright brilliant plan to swing the 25 credits next semester. I needed him to sign off on me taking more than the normal allowed 21. I spoke to him clearly and calmly; explained to him what I planned on doing, how I planned on doing it, and why I needed to do it. I answered all his questions. Then he left me alone in his office for fifteen minutes and when he came back he said,  "No. I don't think you can do that. I'm not going to put my signature on this paper. You can go over my head to the department chair if you want."

I wanted to punch the guy in the face.  Never have liked him. I didn't though, but rather I shook his hand and thanked him for his honesty. Trying not to cry, I walked out of his office, caught my breath, and went to see the department chair. I gave him my same spiel, though I'm sure I was looking a little more panicked by that time. He's going to "think about it". I should know next week. Whack. Whack. Whack.

As if that wasn't enough, I found out that same afternoon that my ex has no more dental insurance for the boys. They were due for 6 month check ups and I had no idea how I could cover them, being barely able to pay my own $425 a month insurance premium. So, I figured since I was already standing at the station, I'd just fully hop on the desperation train. On my way home from the university, I stopped off at the Health and Welfare office to see about dental medicaid.

I remember my mom telling me she had to go on welfare for a while right after my dad died, was on it for a year and worked like the dickens to get off. She instilled in us to only ever use services like that as a very last means to ensure there would always be enough for those people who really, really needed them. I didn't know if I was to that point of really, really needing yet but it sure felt like it.

I entered the building and was bossed into a line by an old security guard. As I surveyed the people around me, I saw a lot who looked as uncomfortable as I did. I met the gaze of one woman whose eyes seemed to be saying the same thing as mine: "How did we get here?"

I could hear the pride in me screaming: "I don't want to 'qualify' for anything that I don't earn through my own hard work and talents!" I almost stormed out of there...but then I thought of my boys. With lack of alimony cutting our budget by a third, we really could use some extra help right now. So I stayed in the line. And turns out that as a full time student, I qualify for all kinds of stuff. Sigh. Bittersweet news. I'll just take the dental coverage for now, keep working my budget like a pro, and save the rest of the offerings for when we might really, really need them.

And then I went out to my van and pounded my head on the steering wheel and alternated between crying and crazy person laughing for a little while--Remembering it really wasn't so long ago that I was something, someone completely different. And how did it all change so quickly?! There are amazingly wonderful things I have learned about myself over the course of the last 2 1/2 years. Things I really love. Things I wouldn't want to change. But I suppose until I fully purge the part of me that would just like to have everything put back together like it was, I'll never be able to gladly embrace all aspects of this new life.

Are my posts starting to sound like broken records yet? Because they sure feel like them! I know we tend to remember the past as happier than it actually was; think of the present as worse than it is; and worry that the future will be less resolved that it probably will be. I get that..sometimes it's just too hard to shake off all the heavy chains of "what if's " and "why me's?". All I know for sure right this moment is that I'm going to keep whacking  moles till God takes my mallet away and hands me my prize. I want the giant, four foot teddy bear, please.

p.s. Did I mention my cell phone also fell in the toilet on Monday and broke? Yeah...that was awesome, too. On second thought, I want the six foot bear.

13 comments:

Kristi said...

You'll get that bear. I have a feeling... :)

BBB said...

Ugh. I remember that day. Going to the dept of Health & Human services and filling out a million pieces of paper and feeling more and more humiliated with every piece of information I wrote down. But... it was for my kids.. it was for my kids.. it was for my kids.

It gets better. I promise.

Elena H. said...

My 2 cents...Take all of the offerings available to you through wellfare, keep working your budget like a pro, and save the extra money you might have freed-up due to the wellfare benefits so you can build a good financial cushion in case a bigger mole pops-up. You never know.

M said...

I'm going to go with Elena on this. There is a time and a season for everything in our little lives. We had our time as stay-at-home wives and mothers, and now that that part is gone it's time to figure out how to best meet the needs of our children and keep them happy and healthy. I've had to put aside so much of my pride and realize what I'm doing is going to make me a better, stronger person in the end. Enduring. That's what you do best. I've seen you doing it, beautifully. Accept what is offered and be happy that it is offered. Someday soon it won't be and you'll be ready for your next time and season. I love you, JSP:)

Jennifer P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Whack Brad, he's the one who needs whacking.

Erma J.

Anonymous said...

I was starting to worry about you, but today's post has eased my mind. You seemed so 'stuck' (for lack of a better word) before, but I see a better frame of mind here.
Take all the help that is offered to you. The help that is offered was meant for someone like you who needs a helping hand for a (hopefully) short period of time. You and I and millions of others have contributed to that system. Allow us to help you, however indirectly.

Lynette said...

I have never commented on your blog but felt compelled to after this last post. I work in the medical field and just like a lot of other people see tremendous and abhorrent "abuses" of the system by people whose sense of entitlement somehow gives them permission to take whatever and as much as they can. A significant number of these people are fully capable of doing something to provide for themselves and their families. What you are doing and accomplishing is HUGE and you deserve all of the help that you can get right now. I completely and 100% agree with the other people who have commented that you should take anything and everything that is available to you at this season in your life to lessen the stress and hardship you are facing. It is a temporary solution to a difficult situation. I feel certain just from reading your blog that you will pay it forward one day. Best wishes to you and yours and most of all, good luck!

Katie said...

I keep up with your posts because your story tugs at my heart and I pray for you and your family. But, if I'm super honest, I also read because I like your writing. Your entries strike me as having the flavor of editorial column writing. Witty, funny, poignant. Have you ever thought about finding a job in that field of writing?? Just a thought.

Corrie said...

Okay, I don't think I had laughed today, until I read the comment by Anonymous.

You will know what to do. Keep going.

Jennifer P. said...

Corrie,
I got a good belly laugh out of that one too! It's not as if I haven't THOUGHT about it...just doesn't seem to do any good :).

Katie,
That would be an ideal job for sure! Just trying to figure out where to get that kind of a gig is a little overwhelming though. I'd be in competition with bloggers and journalism graduates everywhere! But I WILL keep my eyes open. And thank you for the compliment!

Torey said...

When my husband was in law school, every.single.graduate student family we knew was getting Medicaid, food stamps, and living in subsidized housing (regardless of whether you were conservative or liberal). I really don't think there is any shame in taking advantage of those benefits when you are attempting to make a better life for your family. Higher education costs a ridiculous amount of money, and medical costs are out of this world. If we (and all the families we knew) didn't use the benefits we would have needed $200,000 in federal loans to pay for everything (and I don't even think they would give us that). So don't be embarassed. I'd just get the help offered to you and figure it will help to reduce your stress and worries about finances (some). Probably better for your health in the long run.

'T' said...

When you are trying to better your situation (which you are) you should take all the help(s) you can get. You are in my prayers- friend I've never met ;)