Monday, November 10, 2008

home remedies


These days we come home
needing repair, carrying

the fly-buzz of confusion,
the butterflies of doubt.

We come home with our
arms full or rotten apples,

our hearts pleated with aches,
our eyes and fingers

crossed with a need
for cure. A need

for necklaces of garlic,
for bear and goose grease,

chicken soup, poultice
and magic chant to clear

the liars from our lives
like phlegm. But we settle in

and settle for a meal,
slow talk, broken bread,

and love's sweet
stopgap repairs.

~Vern Rutsala


I couldn't have said it better had I written this myself! (and if any of you thought I DID write that, well --I'm flattered!)

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. *Thinking, thinking, thinking.* A distracting amount of thinking....

Thinking that it is so nice to be able to wake up in the morning with a smile on my face--
happy for what I've been given.
For faith, family, friends.
Happy for possibility.
~ Just happy~
...sometimes even goofy-happy :-) .
Good to feel like that again.
Yup.
It is.
And that's all I'm going to say about that....
For now.

*****

And how about YOU pat yourself on the back because not only have you read a blog post, but you got yourself a little contemporary poetry reading in too! Now, don't you feel all smart and cultured ?!


and just out of curiosity--

*What do you wake up looking most forward to?

47 comments:

Jon McFerson said...

i wake up happy that i am alive. i wake up looking forward to going to work and having a productive day. i wake up looking forward to another day that i can work on myself. i wake up looking forward to experiencing and appreciating life because i know that in an instant it can be all over. i don't want to miss a thing! unfortunately, i only have 60 years left! JON

Aubrey said...

Well, today I'm the joykill because the poem I was thinking you wrote exactly suited my mood.

Um, not much of a morning person and am kind of ornery when I wake up. Sunshine helps. And the promise of vacations. And paydays. And finding cute shoes.

And hoping the kids in Primary sing for me nicely and are reverent instead of acting like little you-know-whats reulting in many solo performances that, trust me, are't. that. good. But those boys sure learned their lessons. Especially the one making sheep noises like he had Barnyard Turrets (and I'd sure like to know what his mom says to him in Spanish--that she WHIPS out--that makes him instantly shape up). When will they FIRE me already? (Oops, totally digressed. Blame it on dementia.)

Rich said...

Here. Here. Jon.

Once, I'm awake I'm happy just to be alive, to breath, blue skies (and cloudy, rainy skies too). Time with family a job that gives me the ability to enjoy that time. Friends (which includes family) and going out to dinner with them - not necessarily for the food, but for the company, conversation and good times.

I like the quote about how life is going... "Not as good as some, but better than most!" There's always someone who has it better than you and plenty others who have it worse. If things are bad, just be glad it's not worse... it could be. And remember... It always works out in the end. So if things aren't going right, well then... it's not the end.

Jon McFerson said...

i decided to mess with the templates and i really liked the new one i am currently using. it feels a lot happier and open. i know you understand! i didn't really understand how GREAT life was until the last few years. i'm a slow learner i guess - LOL. LIFE is really a beautiful beautiful thing. living a long full life is a privilege denied to many so i made the CHOICE to enjoy and appreciate every second. one day it will all be over unfortunately...

DixieJo said...

I am happy for one more day. One more hug. One more smile. One more prayer. One more try. At me. At mothering. At becoming whole.

wedogmomma said...

quite honestly...I look forward to ALL THAT possibility too!
When the kids haven't wrestled yet, school sounds fun and challenging for the day, I seem to have PLENTY of hours to fit it all in...AND dreams of the perfect hair day ALL loom ahead .........

I'm grinning just thinking about tomorrow :D

Mama Wheaton said...

I now look forward to a quick smile, with my morning coffee, while I read a blog I am following. It never fails even if I only have time for one, I get a good feeling. Yours did that for me today. Thank you. Also I look forward to a little quiet (to read some blogs) before I have to wake the other 6 people up, get them ready, send them off and go to school myself. All with a smile!

Caroline said...

I look forward to seeing the smiling faces of my husband and redhead...and the first cup of coffee! I have started getting up early to exercise and even though its hard to get up, the feeling of having my workout over with at 7:15 is spectacular.

I am also thankful that God's mercies are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I wake up wanting my coffee and ready for my time with the Lord...and phone calls from my daughters! :)

Lauren and Justin said...

totally thought you wrote that!

Debbie said...

I of course thought you wrote that poem because you have a way with words. I have been thinking about you so much lately and was so glad to wake up this morning to be greeted with this post on your genuine inner joy that I must tell you is emaninating from your face and your words. God is good.

Kim Heinecke said...

I wake up thinking I need to go to the gym but knowing full well I'll find 300 excuses to lay in bed listening to the baby on the monitor for one.more.minute.

Tamie said...

i wake up happy that i have yet another chance to be a better mom to my boys and a better wife to my husband ----can't wait to here more of your juicy little secret!

Shauna said...

I wake up happy and hope for lots of hugs and smiles :)

Ronnica said...

When I wake up my first thought is, "Is there anyway I can eek out some more sleep?" I think this every morning except Saturday. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get, I'm not a morning person.

Anonymous said...

During the week I wake up looking forward to my day at work at an elementary school. I love seeing all the kiddos. On the weekends I look forward to relaxing or getting stuff done.

Susie said...

I mostly look forward to my family but I also look forward to my baking adventures:-)

Summer Miller said...

I am happy that I'll get to go back to bed at the end of the day. But that is just just because I'm grumpy today. I look forward to the opportunity to soak in the sweet spirits that have been sent to our home and for the opportunity I have to try a little harder to be a little better.

Katy said...

Happy about seeing my children in the mornings and hubby and animals.
Happy about coffee, blogs, food, electricity........
I'm happy for the family and friends in my life as well.

p.s. sometimes I REALLY goofy happy! I love that feeling.

ManicMandee said...

I am so happy you are happy!!!!!!! Lately I have a hard time in the mornings. I don't want to get up and drag 4 tired kids out of bed when I'm feeling too tired myself. So now I am going to change that. Thanks to Jennifer p!

Em said...

I need to be happier ALL day! BUT... I look forward to coffee, driving my kids to school with my heated car seats while listening to my favorite morning radio show, coming home and catching up on my Tivo'd girly shows the man wont watch with me, reading the updates from your wonderful blogs and "quiet" time when I am all alone ;)

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I DID think you wrote that!
I woke up knowing that I am getting my carpets cleaned today!

Lee Ann said...

Oh that makes me happy....that you're waking up happy. I'm looking forward to the day when the "for now" is lifted and you say more :-)

Anonymous said...

I did think you wrote the poem. Was just getting ready to tell you how amazing I thought you were, then realized it wasn't you. Still think you rock, though. Thanks for sharing that poem. I love the line "our hearts pleated with aches," I'll be mulling that one over for the rest of the day.

Glad you're happy. :)

Robyn said...

When I wake up, I look forward to having a productive day, no matter what that may include. If it doesn't happen that's OK. There is always tomorrow morning to wake up to.

Anonymous said...

I usually wake up looking forward to my morning walk to be over and for work to be over so I can spend the evening with my husband and dogs!

Valerie said...

I thought you wrote that yourself. It was great. So to answer your question: What do I wake up looking most forward to? When I wake up I am happy jus to wake up. As I have had some health issues. I look forward to seeing my daughter and grandbaby. He always brightens my day.

emily freeman said...

Totally thought you wrote that poem, Jennifer P. I believe you could have, absolutely. Wish I could meet you IRL. Have I said that lately?

christa jean said...

So good to hear that you're happy and goofy! Do I detect a slight hint at something (or someone) that is causing extra happiness?!!!

Do pop over to my blog and enter my contest... if you win you'll be even more happy ;-D

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I wake up with a smile knowing that in a few moments my kids will be off learning. Then I can blog and keep a thougt in my head.

Hopw all is well with you :)!

ManicMandee said...

Jennifer!!! I saw your comment on my blog and am DYING with excitement and a desire for details! Pretty please....

jori-o said...

Hmmmm....you sound especially happy and perky and--dare I say...twitterpated?? If not, then I'm glad you're happy, whatever the reason. If you are (crushin' on someone, that is!), uhmmm DETAILS???? ;)
Have a great day!

Lizzie said...

i wake up hoping for 5 more minutes of sleep. is that bad? i LOVE sleep!! But, the kids will always get my sleepy butt outta bed, they will always be more important then my precious sleep. glad to hear you are doing super dooper :)

Claremont First Ward said...

I'm in big trouble. Most days I don't wake up looking foward to much.......I don't wake up dreading anything, but not looking forward, and I'm thinking that's not such a great thing.

I'm so glad to hear that you, on the other hand have turned a corner, so to speak.....such happy news!

Lula! said...

"And yooooooouuuuu take me the way I am..."

I love this song.

I love this poem.

I love waking up...'cause it means I've been given new mercies. Each and every morning.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I know I should come up with something good, but all my nosy self can think of is..."hmm...so why is she so goofy happy? :)"

Miki said...

I was so enjoying that poem, and even halfway through, I got distracted and looked up at the picture at the top, and thought, "oh, Jennifer is now adding neat photos to her poems...I like this shot. It's perfect".

Then, I was reading through everyone's awesome comments (you have a group of very fun commenters) and thought, after I let it sink in a while, that I don't think you would add the "rotten apples" part to your poem. Did I just totally put down an awesome poem? I really didn't mean it that way. I really did enjoy the poem (feeling so cultured around you and loving it) but secretly wondered as I was reading over your fellow commenters thoughts, "I wonder if Jennifer would have said that?"

Would you have? I'm so, so curious.

Anyway, my mornings have been so different lately. I've been going through a significant change in my life, that of giving up the television. I know the t.v. is dispicable, and looked poorly upon, but I've spent a lifetime loving it. Finally, just this month, I've been giving it up.

On my way to Lowe's one day, I thought, "is this what I've been missing out on all of these years? Life...."

I wake up in the mornings now looking forward to the unknown. I wonder what my boredom will bring me today I think. And unexpectedly, I do something pretty fun and productive.

Life is fun....

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

To see if I got in comments in the night.

Kidding.

Not really...

;-)

Jenni said...

I look forward to checking things off my list and laughing with my kids. I am glad you are so happy. It feels good to be happy. And I did thought you wrote that poem, it sounds like you.

Today, I look forward to getting caught up. I have been living in a whirl wind. Today is the lull before the next storm. So, I look forward to next week when I can get my life back to normal. . .at least MY normal, which is a few steps from crazy and always chaotic, but I think I like it that way.

Jenni said...

I mean--I did think. . .or I thought. . .that's what I get for editing quickly and "fixing" mistakes. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

To day I,m PROUD TO BE AN AMERICEN
for are SERVICE MEN&WEMEN for there SERVICE DEDICATION HONOR
SACRIFICE this is a GREAT COUNTRY
HAPPY VETERANS DAY.

Julie said...

First totally thought you wrote that amazing poem! But I still love it and will read that several more times today....hum, what do I wake up for? For one more chance to learn a little more, laugh a little harder and listen a little longer, and for sure love more deeply than the day before. Oh and I like to practice on my four kids and my honey and anyone who I have been blssed to know. Hey and I am glad you are feling that happy, joy feeling!

Shanda said...

Well, I'll tell you what I didn't wake up looking forward to. Driving my car into the lake in the middle of the road. Yep, I totally flooded my car.

But I am alive, and I have insurance. For that I am very grateful!

Marilyn said...

Wow, I really thought that was your writing!! Beautiful :)
I look forward to the feeling AFTER I have done my 5:30 am workout. :)

Bart Mancuso said...

That poem is brilliantly gray.
Thank you for sharing it.

I wake up with hope in heart.

I see opportunities, and possibilities.

God wants me to make the most of my life and I'm trying.

God also wants me to jog...and I'm finding it hard to do these shorter days! ugh!...

Pemberley Court said...

Always wake up wondering what my 3 year old has gotten into b4 I can catch him!!!

LenaLoo said...

I wake up looking forward to going back to sleep... I love sleep and can't wait to do it again every morning :) I love that poem BTW :)