Friday, November 30, 2007

Confessions of an Obsessed Woman

Day: Last night. Time: 11:00 pm. What is Jennifer doing? Folding giant mound of laundry? NO!!!!

Reading from large selection of books and magazines?

NO!!!!!

Obsessively poking toothpicks in gumdrops trying to finish Christmas decoration?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you're thinking: Hmmmm.....that big tree looks a little 'different' from the others. Try not to laugh at him!--He has a very tragic story! I realized at 10:45 last night, that I only had yellow, orange, black and white gumdrops left (that could be due to my children--alright, and me too!--snacking on all the red and green ones). I made a quick trip to Albertsons only to find out that the small gumdrops they carry there aren't the same colors as the ones I got at Michael's. I spy big gumdrops in the same colors, but they only have one bag left (darn that 10 for $10 sale!). I buy it and also a bag orange slice looking gumdrops and head for home. I run out of big gumdrops quickly and then turn into some kind of Christmas crafty Dr. Frankenstein piecing all my stray gumdrops together into some kind of rag-tag creation. I realize about half way through that poor big tree is beginning to look like a deranged flamanco dancer, but I can't stop putting the gumdrops in. I have to finish it!

So when I woke up this morning (a little more clear minded) and saw it sitting there looking ever- so- ridiculous, I had to take a picture. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it...except laugh at it!

NEXT OBSESSION:

I was wondering what on earth I was going to do for a Christmas tree this year. James is in the 'leave nothing untouched' stage, and I didn't want any (more) of my hand-blown glass bulbs to get broken. As I was walking by the Gap yesterday, I saw they had the PERFECT tree! It had varying sizes and colors of big yarn balls hanging on it. I went inside and asked the clerk how much the ornaments cost, and she kind of looked at me like I was crazy. "Those aren't for sale" she said. After weighing the option of just throwing a couple in my stroller and taking off, I decide to stop at Michael's instead.



Yarn+balls+me=Perfect Christmas ornaments! You can't break yarn, right?! Now my dilemma here is that I want to have some really big ones too, but they want $12 for large foam balls at Michael's (TWELVE DOLLARS!!!). I think I'll make a trip to the dollar store and see if they have any big children's bouncy balls, but any other ideas would be appreciated (but not making my own paper mache' balls from modge-podge and a balloon like the lady at the craft store suggested--I'm not THAT obsessed :)!)

7 comments:

Elena said...

I think your little tree is so amazing he can stand alone proudly donning his Christmas wear! :) Have you ever made fuzzy yarn balls from placing two paper plates together, cutting a hole in the center, (the bigger the hole, the bigger the ball) and wrapping yarn around and around the from the hole to the outside of the plates? Once you've filled in enough yarn you take your scissors and cut the outside of the yarn inbetween the two plates. Take another piece of yarn to tie the center together and voila, a fuzzy yarn ball. It's something your boys would love to do. My kids think they are fun to make. Maybe I might have to do it too, b/c like you, I need a kid friendly tree. Hmmm...I am liking this idea more and more!

Jennifer P. said...

From the cobwebs of my mind I seem to remember making these about 5th grade! Great idea! I'll have to look on line for instructions with pictures. Thanks for the idea!

lee ann said...

I don't have any ideas :-( I just wanted to say if you're ever bored, you should check out Shannon and Beckie on my blog list. They're two of the most creative people I know! Sometimes I think they're competing for the best thrifty, creative idea :-)

Emily said...

I love the yarn ball ornament idea! Do you have a Hobby Lobby in your area? You can get good quality yarn in there weekly sales for $1 a skein. I knitted an extra long scarlet red scarf last month for $2.

Jennifer P. said...

I have never heard of Hobby Lobby, but I'll keep my eyes open. I can already tell that I didn't buy enough yarn!

Jennifer P. said...

I have to add a funny--the yarn I did buy was called "Vanna's Choice" with a big picture of Vanna White on the front. Inside it described how the yarn was as soft and pretty as Vanna. I guess I just thought it was funny that of all things to lend your likeness too as a game show model, you would choose yarn!

Lee Ann said...

Ok Jennifer, I know I said to look at Beckie's blog if you got bored, but now I really think you should check it out. She's on a roll with altering things we would throw away. She's "majorly" thrifty. I think you would get a kick out of her stuff.