Wednesday, June 4, 2008

heavy and light

One surprising thing about finding myself suddenly husbandless is the amount of internal dialogue that I suddenly have going on. I don't think I have talked to myself so much since I was a teenager. Sang to myself, complained to myself, and laughed to myself--sure--but not endlessly discussed with myself the big 3 questions that seem now to linger....... Who was I ? Who am I? What do I want to be?........ HEAVY stuff----



I know I was committed, focused, purpose-driven, content, and sometimes too introverted for my own good.

Now, I feel in a very transitional place. My commitment, focus, and purpose are kind of standing against the wall waiting for someone to ask them to dance. My contentment comes and goes accordingly with my levels of anger and fear. And I have for sure learned that being introverted doesn't work when you're lonely. My therapist tells me I've moved out of 'crisis' mode and am now muddling my way through 'shock'. Hooray. He says, too, that I'm weathering everything better than anyone he's seen. Should I take that as a compliment? Isn't that kind of like saying: "wow Ms. Peterson--your'e not quite as crazy as some of those other crazies I listen too...." (Hey--New Boots--would you agree with that diagnosis? You are--after all--like my second, unpaid therapist.......lucky you ;)!).

And then we get to the interesting, often overwhelming "who do I want to BE" part. In a sense, the whole world is open to me. The whole....giant.....scary......world...... I guess I could learn to play a guitar and beg them to let me on American Idol. Oh wait. I would also have to learn to sing. Ummmmm, maybe a nunnery that accepts women with children?! All kidding aside--I think I really just want to be whatever the Lord wants me to be. I know I love my children more than I love myself, and I know that I desire the Kingdom of God more than anything else. That seems like a pretty safe direction to go.........and I 'll just have to wait and see where I arrive.

Alrighty. Enough heavy. Now let's get to the light. This is some of my new***** favorite stuff******:





Chocolate Chex. I bought them because they were on sale---and now I have to remind myself that they are not a new food group. Seriously---yummy right out of the box. Or with milk. First thing in the morning. At lunch. And right before you go to bed. And sometimes in the middle of the night when you dream that Blake Lewis wants you to make him a bowl. Luckily the boys aren't all that into them or I would have to start hiding them....


Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs. My skin only has two colors it's capable of producing: white or red. White works in the fall and winter..... but not so much in the summer. Neither is red all that becoming. So this product gives me a happy medium for when I wear shorts or skirts. It's like getting 10 pairs of pretty, shimmery nylons in a can....for the price of one in a box. I know you want to go buy some my fellow white/red girls!

O.K.......so has ANYONE heard of this show called......

???????? Yes, yes--I know I am the last person in the world to crawl out from the rock I've been living under and start watching this. I've been renting it on DVD and letting it keep me entertained on laundry folding nights. HILARIOUS! And what's great is that the one recent finale' episode I caught isn't all that much different from season 2 that I'm picking my way through right now. I like a show that can be followed over time (which is why I gave up on Lost after a month!). Now I get all the references to Jim and Pam and Dwight. I'm one of you....I'm really one of you.......

Finally, I totally love that my friend/ neighbor's mom just moved in down the street. Her shopaholic mom. Who buys lots and lots of stuff on clearance, shoves it in her closet, throws away her receipts, and then--when she goes to wear the stuff months later-- realizes that she either doesn't fit in or like most of it anymore. And then she gives it to her daughter. Who also isn't sure if she likes it. And then her daughter passes it on to me. Oh what treasures :)!!!......



Strappy yellow peep toe wedges anyone? I think I may just have found my new happy shoes....

May you have more light than heavy to dwell on today!


34 comments:

Corrie said...

Wow, I'm the first person to comment. Great to hear from you. Wish you were going to the mom's retreat this weekend! I'll have to try Chocolate Chex, I'm loving Honey Bunches of Oats, it's just like candy. Darn Costco & that coupon, I never should have bought it. Love the yellow shoes! I still have fabric for you from Jennifer Paganelli! bye, Corrie

Jennifer P. said...

Corrie,
oooh! ooooh! I want my fabric!

I'll miss the retreat too. Turns out I have a family wedding to get to this weekend anyhow, so it wouldn't have worked regardless of whether or not I was speaking. Please say hi to everyone though.

Are you doing piano through the summer? If so---please come by again! And stop by even if there's no piano involved. You're fun to talk to ;)!

Tiffany said...

Jennifer, you are the only person I know who can discuss the Kingdom of God and Chocolate Chex in the same post. And do it flawlessly.

Watch out, your talent is showing...again.

Oh, and not only did I get the Cafe Rio recipe thanks to you, she was kind enough to bestow upon me the recipe for the pork that makes my toes curl.

I am forever in your debt.

John Deere Mom said...

I LOVE Chocolate Chex. It's great! And by the way...so are your saucy new shoes!

Sissy said...

You are a woman after my own heart. Cute shoes=happiness.

Karli said...

Whose wedding are you going to Jen? That's so fun to have hand-me-downs from neighbors and friends. I love getting other people's stuff! That's probably why I like garage sale-ing sometimes.

And, I'm going to have to try that sally hansen stuff. you are the second person that has mentioned it lately...is it easy to apply? does it smell bad? does it leave streaks? how often do you apply it?

remember how aware of you the Lord is. love you.

karli

Debbie said...

You are going to make a brilliant writer one day Ms. Peterson. Because this was a brilliant post...and Tiffany said you made the transition from the Kingdom of God to Dwight Shrute flawlessly. And as The Office's number one fan who now owns all the seasons on DVD and owns no other show in DVD, let me welcome you to the club. You can't turn back now...Jim, Pam, Michael,Phyllis, Dwight, Angela, Andy, Ryan, Toby, Creed, Kevin, Meredith, Kelly, Oscar, Scranton and Dunder Mifflin will all be part of your vernacular from here on out;)

Tamie said...

you're funny....and in a good way.
(and i like your "new" shoes)
don't feel bad about talking to yourself, i do it constantly all the time. i think that there is just something about being able to 'hear' what you're trying to work out in your mind that helps you come to a really good decision/outcome.
ummm....confession time: i think that i am seriously the ONLY person in the world that doesn't like the Office. i have seriously attempted numerous times to watch it on dvd and on tv and just can't get into it. i find it really stupid and not all the humorous (this isn't a make or break for our friendship, is it?) sorry. (as i tell my husband also) enjoy it nevertheless...and don't tell anyone my little secret! ;)

Brian and Staci said...

Wow! I know, I KNOW everywhere I read about bloggin' it says don't be jealous...but I SO am of you! You can write like nobody else girl! I'm gonna give the Chex a try and I wish I could pull off those yellow shoes like you! Yellow is not a good color for mwah! You don't need more school girl...you just need to write your book NOW! For me, pleassse! You so make me smile :)

Jennifer P. said...

All of you: I am soooo *****BLUSHING******. I wasn't trying to write anything good--just spouting stuff going through my head late at night. But that I touch any of you with my spiritual insights and love for Chocolate Chex means a lot to me. THANK YOU!

Staci--
I would love to start writing a book right now, but I really do have a lot to learn. I know my poetry inside and out, but as far as fiction writing goes--I really do need to learn how to put together a good story board and learn the ins and outs of creating really great characters. One day.......

Are You Serious! said...

♡ The "what do I want to be?" Goes through my mind ALL the time! I used to "know" before I got married and had kids now I'm not so sure!

Those shoes are so bright and fun!!! Yay for pass alongs! :)

Elena said...

Hot-cha-cha-cha shoes! I'd have to say I agree with your therapist. You are handling this WAY better than I would. Keep being strong!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I hope that it is soon that we see your book. I for one an looking for a good read during the summer and I think that is why I come to blog land so often, to get a good read.

What an exciting time, the remaking of Jennifer, although I think that there is really nothing that you need to fix. You are amazing already!!!!

Emily said...

I love the yellow shoes, yellow=happy in my book.

Melissa Lester said...

It's such a treat to pop over here and find that you have a new post! I enjoy your special blend of spiritual, humorous and mundane into the sublime!

Miki said...

Deep thoughts…..that’s what I’m in at the moment. I can’t seem to think of anything else lately. Your thoughts just made me feel as though I’m not the only one who thinks about things…almost obsesses. But on to lighter topics, of course!

The Office, I used to absolutely hate it! Can you believe that? I didn’t get the humor, I would cringe at the topics…BUT THEN, my husband would watch it, AND THEN my sister-in-law and her husband would come over and they would all laugh and watch it together. I finally sighed enough, and after about five episodes (yes, it took me that long to finally get it) I started to “kind of like it”. Yes, only kind of. THEN it just became funny after watching a few absolutely GREAT episodes. Now, I’m hooked. I love it and can’t get enough!! It’s one of my favorites, and it comes on when I’m at the gym working out. I laugh out loud during my workouts with my little earphones in. Good to see that laundry time has now turned into laughing hour for you…

sorry the comment turned so long...

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Okay, the chocolate Chex look yummy. I tried the new chocolate Special K and was not impressed. Blech. Chocolate Chex look good though--they're going on my list!

http://frillsfluffandtrucks.blogspot.com

~ Sarah

Heather said...

Yep. Talk to myself all the time. Doing it right now.

I love your new yellow shoes. They are super sassy and look great with those jeans.

Would you agree, Mr. New Boots?

I'm sorry...I can't stop.

Trish said...

Oh girl, you know I busted out laughing while reading this great post. I am now probably going to dream about you fixing a bowl of cereal for Blake Lewis! Can I have the number to your therapist, I'll need it tomorrow.

And I'll have you know that I am now the LAST person in this world to have not seen the Office. I guess I'll put it in my Blockbuster queu so I can at least sound half way intelligent when the watercooler chatter begins.

Love the yellow shoes. You are so fashionable. I have never worn yellow shoes or wedges.......I could use help in the fashion dept. In the land of Spice Girls you would be Posh spice and I am more like Sporty spice.

NewBoots said...

As your unpaid therapist... I would totally agree!!! As for chocolate Chex... might just have to try some for dinner tonight and see if I agree with your opinion.

And for those of you wondering who I am... well let me introduce myself... I am Me! I could be a figment of Jennifer's imagination, I might be Blake Lewis, or I might just be some dark and mysterious biker who rides the lonely road of life looking for friends in need!

Tiffany said...

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH Mr. Boots has made an appearance.. Watch out Jared, there is a new man in town!

Jennifer P. said...

Hmmmmm-- well those boots ARE biker boots.....

Brian and Staci said...

THIS is better than a soap opera my bloggin' friends! New Boots speaks! Can I Tevo some how?? Oh, forgot why I was posting again---to just say, well, okay, I'll let ya go on to school, but be like a brain or something and graduate super fast so I can have a book to read :)

Miki said...

You know we all clicked on "newboots" to see who it is....lol!

I'll let Heather do all the bantering. She's good at it.

emily freeman said...

I think I'm gonna start talking to newboots on my blog. Make everyone wonder. And I want to join with Debbie in singing the chorus of joy in welcoming you to The Office family! What a wonderful place it is! I also own all the seasons on DVD (and we don't like, buy DVDs. Ever.)

Sunshine said...

Girl...you're a writer. Just say it with me, "I am a writer." This is what you are and what you'll be tomorrow and the next day.

Fantastic stuff there. I *love* this blog.

Sunshine said...

P.S. We flipping love The Office over here!

It makes us happy.

Sunshine said...

P.S.S. I'm totally gonna be all about the Chocolate Chex now. It's gonna be my new thing. Just so ya...ya know...know.

Brian and Staci said...

MIKI--YOU are soooo totally right--- YEA we did! But still, a mystery! GIVE US SOMETHIN' New Boots!

Jennifer P. said...

New Boots actually writing in his own blog would be like Batman keeping a blog---it just doesn't work. He did give ya'al a "mysterious" picture where he looks like a power ranger though....

He really is just a good friend who's having some fun with me out here in blogland. Not a figment of my imagination. Though I kind of wish he was Blake Lewis---heh. heh.

NewBoots said...

Blake Lewis wakes up in the morning wishing he was me!

Debbie said...

How do we know you aren't Blake Lewis, Mr. New Boots??

Jenny said...

Was going to make a comment about New Boots, but everyone else has, so I won't. I'll just keep watching.

I love fake tan. I use it all the time. One of the world's best inventions, especially after having kids and needing to hids veiny legs.

I love The Office too, but we watch the original English one. I have seen the American version on late at night here, but have never given it a go due to the fact that we own the other, and can get it out any time.

And love the fact that there is some free clothes coming your way!

Tausha said...

ok babe-I love to read your blog! You my dear, are keeping it real (so 90's saying-sorry) You are one stong lady. I am impressed with the strength you have and how you are getting your confidence back. Any woman with pink toes and fabulous yellow peep toe shoes is someone that I would like to count as a friend. Even if we are only friends because we both love a good/great pair of shoes! Espescially if they are happy shoes!
One more thing-where do you get the sally airbrush legs? Do you get color immediately or is it a slow process over time? I am hoping that it is the first and that I can find it in this city I live in. Cause if it is as great as you, my fellow shoe lover say it is, and I can't find it-you might have to pick up a can for me, your new favorite friend and send it to me! So-now that you think I am crazy (which i am not-promise) I will quite typing. COme on over and say hi-anytime.