Wednesday, August 27, 2008

things to do before i die

I heard on the radio yesterday that Dave Freeman, 47, co-author of the book 100 Things To Do Before You Die-----died. He fell and hit his head and that was it. Apparently he was only half way through his list too......

Well, it got me to thinking---I often say that I want to " live every day like it was my last", but in all honesty--I don't always do it. Too often, I spend waaaaaaay too much time worrying about a future that isn't here yet, or dwelling on a past that has already gone---when I KNOW I should happily live in the moment and make the best of it.

I'm not completely hopeless though. In addition to the never-ending adventure of being mom to 4 boys and the many, many things they teach me on a daily basis, I've been able to do some fairly exciting things: I've danced all night in a Parisian disco, been present at the royal wedding of Princess Sophie of Bavaria to the crown Prince of Liechtenstein, slept in a castle (turned youth hostel), sang along to "Daydream Believer" at a Monkees concert, read the first draft script of a famous movie, seen my poetry published, and competed in a rodeo to name a few. But there's still a lot more I would love to do before I'm too old. I'm not going to list 100 things---I really don't think I could even THINK of 100 things!---but a nice, even 20 seems do-able. Keep in mind, these are things that I want to do---not things that I want to see my kids doing (that could stretch to 100+ easily!). Now without further ado ('cause I could 'ado' all day!), I give you.............

20 THINGS I WANT TO DO BEFORE I DIE (in no particular order):

1. serve a mission for my church

2. go dog sledding

3. see all of England

4. run for public office (not to win, I'm too honest to win---but I think the experience would be incredible! And I would also have really pretty campaign signs :)! )

5. learn to sew

6. take a big chunk of money and spend it just doing nice, anonymous things for people I know

7. learn to bake really good bread (yeast currently holds a grudge against me for some reason....)

8. restore a great vintage British roadster--ideally a 1966 Austin-Healey Mark III 3000BJ8, black with red interior, OR if I've got some money to throw around--a 1964 Aston-
Martin DB5.

9. Buy a whole roomful of Lee furniture.

10. See Diana Krall live.

11. Own a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes or a really nice Coach handbag (but not both of them, I don't want to seem "braggy" :) ).

12. Take a poetry class from Billy Collins

13. have a soaker tub installed in my bathroom.

14. catch a really big fish

15. drive a skid steer loader or forklift (I don't know why---I've just always wanted to!)

16. get to name a paint color

17. build a treehouse for my kids

18. Write a book and/or column and/or magazine article, publish it, and hope that someone other than myself will read and/or buy it!

19. be an extra in a movie or TV show (if I could pick my part, it would be someone waiting in the pretzel line on an episode of the Office).

20. catch a firefly in a jar.

Alrighty--I'm leaving it up to you guys to hold my feet to the fire and make sure I get these done!

***And I would LOVE to read your list! Let me know when you make it!***

44 comments:

Carla said...

This was a fun post to read!

And wow, I would love to have the experience of dancing all night long in a Parisian disco!

Jenny said...

Mmmm... I am going to have to compose a list now. I will let you know when it is done.

Ironic and tragic about the 100 things guy!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow - great post! You have done some really interesting and cool things already. It's a great idea to write the things down like you have. I will have to work on my list. I'm glad your return to school went well!

Aubrey said...

I learned how to make bread, but stick to rolls. One thing I know that helps: a Bosch. Kitchenaids don't do the trick. They don't knead the dough well enough.

I want to see all of England too. And almost all of Western Europe. I beter get a job.

How do you know so much about cars? Impressive.

I'm a big, huge, procrastinator, but I'll give you a ring tomorrow (or today?) to see when is too early or late for i.c. shots.

Aubrey said...

By the way, the cousin I'm visiting? Lives across the street from the big fire that swept through a few days ago. We're still coming.

Trooper Thorn said...

I have done some of the things on your list Jenn, and they are totally worth doing.
Thanks for your comment on the Clinton-Robot. I thought it seemed awkward she included the "wife" bit too.
Now for a list of my own...

Carrie said...

I can help (or give your tips)for #5 and #7.
#5 I got an inexpensive sewing machine back in April and a beginners books called S.E.W. (Sew Everything Workshop). It shows you step by step and includes patterns. I am still sticking to straight lines and small curves, but you can make a lot with those techniques still. (aprons, tote bags, blankets).
#7 The key with yeast is the water temp.(110-115 degrees) It is VERY fickle. An instant read or candy thermometer is key. Also, do not add salt directly to the dissolved yeast as salt will kill it. Instead dry-blend it in with the second cup of flour and then add both to the recipe.
I am no expert, but these are things I learned from reading and experimenting.
Good Luck!

Lisa said...

Love your list! We should live life out loud!! I want to 1. Teach college 2. See Scotland 3. Write a book 4. Visit Rome 5. Sing with someone famous 6. Do mission work

Lisa Q

Kathi Roach said...

Great list Jennifer!! You can start tonight with #20...or don't you have fireflies where you live? We have tons here in Maryland...but didn't have any in Seattle. Weird??!

I had a close friend killed suddenly in a car accident this Feb, and in April a friend of my daughter's was killed in another car accident. It really made me think about the things I want to do with my life. Most importantly to live my life for God, and to try not to take my kids, my husband, my days for granted.

I posted some of the things on my list back in July...it's titled.."So How's the Running Coming Along?"

Here's the link:
kathi-homefront.blogspot.com/2008/07/so-hows-running-coming-along.html

Have a good day today.

Lauren and Justin said...

FUN!
will you tell me the story about you competing in a rodeo?
please?

Summer Miller said...

My list would probably seem pathetic compared but I'll get on it. I had almost forgotten the rodeo days. That would probably be on my list too.

Carrie said...

Jennifer -
Thanks so much for the comment. That was such a huge, huge compliment coming from you. I really admire your writing. I look forward to your posts everyday.

I know some days are really hard and some are easier. There are days I think of my mom and laugh out loud and days I cry (people next to me at stoplights probably think I strange). I wish you well in your journey.

Lee Ann said...

Loved the list. A couple of those would be on my list, and a couple I've already done. It's always fun to see what people really want to do....drive a forklift huh? Maybe you should just go down to Home Depot at midnight and sweet talk some guy into letting you drive.

Elena said...

I was just talking to Jarom the other day about this subject. I made a list back when I was in college and for the life of me, I can't find it. I would LOVE to see what was important to me then versus now. You need to go visit Emily and catch a firefly. :)

Brian and Staci said...

I love your list...it was so fun to read! You are such a fun person! I could make one dream come true...we have a huge SKYTRACK /forklifter kinda thing at the construction site...you could lift my husband up there to take a picture...he's dying to take a pic from this angle...and I'm so scared it will literally be the death of him if I do it! The sad thing is...I don't know if I could list 20 things I want to do...I've kind of lost sight of "me" and what I love. How's that for depressing? Thanks for making me think about his though!

Jenni said...

I love this because I am always making lists of things I want to do. My problem is there are too many really big ones. And too many that rely on others, like getting published. But I would love to travel england with you! Perhaps we could find some of my relatives.

We are currently building a tree house for our girls. It has been taking all summer, but I posted progress pics on my progject blog. We are aiming to finish it this weekend. Wish us luck!

Jenni said...

Oh, and I just have to add, the things you HAVE done sound pretty exotic and exciting. I wonder if I have done anything nearly as impressive. . .

Ronnica said...

Thanks for the heads up on the story.

I've never been one to have a list. I DO however, want to live everyday for my God.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I did a list when I was in college. I wonder where that is? Being a scrapbooker - I wanted to document this list in an album. But, I don't believe I did anything on that list. Except maybe to graduate.

I'd love to go back and write my dissertation. And travel. I think that places to visit was the main part of my list.

CaraBee said...

That was great! I'll have to get to work on my list!

Kori said...

Great post. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday.

ManicMandee said...

That's a good list. Good luck with those. I may do a 20 before death on my blog before too long. We'll see. At least you've got me thinking.

MediMonsters said...

You inspired me!! I got my list up.

KatBouska said...

Not a shabby list!!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I slept in a youth hostel turned castle too...I loved it even though I was in a bunkbed...not very princessy! I think it was near Neuschwanstein, but I can't remember--it was a looong time ago! What I really remember was pushing my bicycle (my mom used to lead bicycle tours through Europe and I got dragged along) up a hill so huge that I hyperventilated. The castle was a nice reward at the end though!

~ Sarah

Miki said...

Oh Jennifer...you are so completely intellectual, and political, and well read...what in the heck are we going to talk about when we get together! I JUST am not that smart!!

I can throw a softball pretty far. Is that impressive somehow?

Anyway, I loved this post. I haven't thought about big goals in a while. I soooooo want to tell you my forklift driving story, but I think it might make you want to bonk me on the head because you want to do it so bad. It made your top 20 for heaven's sake.

My goal for now: try things....get out of my comfort zone....look silly doing them and don't be afraid of failing at the things miserably.

P.S. I had a funny dream about you and your decorated house. You were the highly tasteful decorator in my dream telling me in a suave voice all of your decorating techniques..

"An..D ThiiiIIIiiiss..." Like that. It was so funny.

Aubrey said...

What a great list and a great post! I should really get a list started. I would be interested to see what I came up with!

Thanks for stopping by my place for a tour of Colorado!

Anonymous said...

I had to open a new window just so I could continue listening to your song while I got blogger opened!! I am making my list now so it should be posted sometime tonight. Thank you for the inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a post. You have done some fun things! I will have to brainstorm a bit to see what I'd come up with for a list. I'll let you know.

WheresMyAngels said...

Number 6 for sure!

Themorrisbunch said...

Wow, impressive list. And not too far fetched ;)
I look forward to reading your posts every night. I like to see peoples responses too, especially when those people randomly show up on my friends blogs! Too fun!!

Frizzy said...

I'm sorry to hear this gentleman died. Must have been an interesting person to write such an insightful/inspiring book.

I love your music. I love your subject. I love your goals. Thanks for sharing. I hope to read more from you and see that you reach all 100 of your goals.

This Mom said...

WOW what a great post. I need to think a bit on what my list would have on it. Right now the only thing I can think of is to sleep a full 8 hours in a row. It as been over 10 years and 5 kids since I have done that and after some days it seems like that may never happen.

thanks for making me think

Tiffany said...

I read your post over at BATW - what an awesome post! And I follow your blog on a daily basis after running across it a few months ago. I'm new to blogging and am still quite awed and fascinated by it all. It can be somewhat overwhelming but I' ve grown to look forward to checking in on my newfound friends (even if THEY don't know ME.) hee hee

Domestic Executive said...

Cool post - I'll definitely be back to see how you do ticking them off your list!

Oh, Diana Krall is awesome in concert. I saw her at the Royal Albert Hall in London and can still feel the tingles down my spine.

Julie (www.domestic-executive.com)

Becky W said...

Great post! I also loved your post from BATW!!!! You are great. I will have to visit again soon!

Joy said...

Jennifer, So glad to make your "blogquaintance". Love your list. I'm really impressed, I don't even know what a skid steer loader is, but it sounds fun to drive. I like Diana Krall too. My wishlist would include "wish I could sing like Diana Krall".
I'll think about a list of things to do, because the singing thing probably won't happen. Have a great weekend with your boys.
Joy in Texas

Marla said...

this is a totaly awesome list...
LOVE IT... I'm going to do this too... i'll let you know when.

Amber said...

This was a great reminder that I needed to write these down! I came up with my first 20.

Susie said...

What a great idea!! It reminds me that at 38 years of age, I still have a lot of living to do. Thanks for the inspiration:-)

Claremont First Ward said...

Amazing list. I really enjoyed reading it.......I'll have to think of mine!

Simply Stork said...

how funny...I too have a list...several things have been crossed off...and several things I have crossed off are on your list...too funny. things such as...being an extra in a movie...that was fun. we installed a soaker tub last year...it was worth it...the tree house is built...although it is not the loveliest thing I have ever seen :o) and I too want to write a book...not sure what kind...I'm still working on that one :o)

I'm glad you have a list...then you can see that dreams do come true :o)

~simply~

"The Queen in Residence" said...

What a great list. I love the idea and will do that soon. Why is it that when we get older that we stop writing list that improve us, all I seem to write are things that need to get done now. Not something that I want to do, even if I never get it done I still want to have that dream of accomplishing great things.

Kristan said...

So...I happen to have an extra sewing machine and a wee bit of fabric. Let me know when you are ready!