
It's true---I AM just a tad bit ocd.
or *CDO* as I like to call it.... so all the letters are in alphabetical order....just the way they should be :).
Actually, I can -- and often do -- live in the midst of chaos created so effortlessly by 4 boys and assorted amounts of their friends coming in and out of the house. But there are certain things that I really like to be a "certain way". Even if my floor is strewn with toys and crumbs and abandoned binkies, I like to look across it all and see that *my chairs are all pushed in the same amount up to my table. *That my barstools are in a straight line. *That all the pens in my pen cup are pointing nub down.* That the centerpiece on my table is centered underneath the chandelier. Yeah.....maybe I do need a little help. But things like that are reminders to me that there really is a semblance of order to my house that's easy to put back together by the time every one's in bed or I know someone is going to stop by. That whatever is done can be undone in a matter of minutes, and not days or weeks.
Here's what I'm really trying to get at though-----
I have another thing that I reeeeeeeeeeally like---and that's numbers. Nice, even round numbers. And right now I have 95 followers. 95. ick. Not ick to the followers--I LOOOOOVE them(!) But ick to the number. Can 5 more people please throw me up on their follow list and bring it up to a nice, even 100...... so I can sleep at night again.
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you.....
And now tell me (please!) do you have any, um, 'rigid tendencies'? Certain ways you like things? Toilet paper going over or under? ( except that if you say under---you're totally wrong and I WILL change it if I use your bathroom) :).
~Thank ye kindly~
*sidenote: I realize that OCD is a debilitating illness for some, and in making light of it....I'm not making light of it.
60 comments:
Okay, I just bumped you up to 96. Hope you get to 100, but what will you do if it gets to 103, or 107? :)
I have a little bit of OCDness when it comes to my kitchen. I have to have the sink and counters cleared off - no dirty dishes, etc - before I go to bed. If I wake up to a messy kitchen my day is kind of shot. I hate a messy floor too. Other than that, I'm not too bad. I could be worse, but I've kind of let things go over the years.
Toilet paper definitely has to be over, though. :)
TP definitely goes over.
I can't start working if everything on my desk isn't nice and straight.
The bed must be made every day
And the magazines and basket on the coffee table need to be just so.
The list of my strange ways could probably go on and on, but there are just a few of them!
Next time when you need a random messy room, just email me. I'd be glad to oblige - anytime. I am already one of the 96....sorry. :)
I'm with Jen! You should SEEEEE my room! Okay, no you shouldn't, I would be too embarassed to send you a picture of it! TP definitely goes over and it doesn't matter WHO'S house I'm at, if it's under, I change it! LOL I have minor OCDness but not when it comes to cleaning. Mine is order. Socks, t-shirts and sleep pants all have to wait their turn! I will ONLY take from the top and nothing gets to cut in line. Same goes for towels and washcloths. LOL Same goes for recorded shows on my DVR, I have to watch the oldest ones first. LOL I sure WISH I could gain some OCDness for cleaning though! My house is a MESS!
i'm already a follower, so I can't help! sorry!
As always, I love you obscenely.
Yes, the toilet paper always goes over. I, too, change it when I see someone has gotten it wrong. I thought that was snobby of me, but you've proven what I suspected all along. I'm right. For once.
I am sooooo glad that is NOT your room! That would make NO sense at all to me! Plus the furniture is set up SO STRANGE (I must get in that pic and fix it this instant).
And yes, I have all of what you have, plus, plus, plus...I HAVE to do my "chores" in order. For example...shower, make my bed, THEN the girl's beds, open blinds, litter box, start a load of laundry, THEN go downstairs and clean up the kitchen, which a whole other story. I'm ALL MESSED up if I do it downstairs FIRST or skip a step. TOTALLY messes me up.
I've got little "routines" and order everywhere I go, including the order of the aisles I have to walk down (and what direction) at the grocery store.
Okay, so now that I've typed all that out and realize how very, very much I can go on I'm a little concerned about myself. I should really blog about this over at my place, versus your comment thingy.
Carry on!
Yes, I have things like this. I do believe I would be full-blown OCD if I didn't have Christ.
My "issues:"
Doors/cabinets/drawers must be all the way closed or all the way open. There is no in between.
Toilet paper must go over, but of course you knew that. It's just right.
There can never be any trash sitting around at any time. If you just ate a packaged something, the trash must be thrown a way the instant you finished it. Same with napkins and other types of trash. (When I would eat in class, I would actually have to leave the classroom to throw away my trash.)
Things have places. I expect them to be exactly where they belong at all times. I have the only computer w/Internet in my room, and my roommate and another friend use it almost daily. My roommate has learned to love on me by catering to my whims (though no one sees it quite like I do), but my other friend doesn't even try.
No overhead lights on at any time, except in the bathroom and maybe kitchen! I prefer lamps and cozyness to brightness!
I wish I had things that just had to be, I'm to laid back, there is nothing in my life that just has to be - is that bad?
Mam Wheaton, I'm right there with you. I was starting to worry about myself until I read your comment. I'd be a crazy woman if I cared about anything so much. I'm a "let it be" lady and I guess it works for me. Other than the house is a disaster. But then again, that only bothers Jarom, so maybe it really does work for me. :) Other than the tp going over (except when babies are little, then it goes under so they can't unroll it as quickly), I honestly can't thing of one thing I'm really honestly particular about.
ok TP is ALWAYS over---i will change someone's roll if it is under
i can't stand clutter---but alas, i am a "stacker" so periodically i'll go on my cleaning rampage and then just have my stack on Ensign and Friends sitting on my counter (i love the fact that you don't have to feel like you've got to save those things any more, considering that you can just go online and find whatever you want---i just cut out the pictures to use in Primary or whatever---)
i MUST have my bed made in.the.morning. (my kids too) the day just doesn't feel like it has started without a pretty bed looking back at me.
and i can't STAND a spotted mirror. i would LOVE it is my bathroom mirror always looked as though I just finished cleaning it (all the chrome in the house as well)
i think that i'm a little wierd...
I have to chew the same number of times on each side of my mouth. that makes it difficult since I don't have a joint left on the right side! And I am now # 98 so I know I am one of your very favorite people.
I definitely understand where you are coming from. Our dining room table is old and kinda rickety so it moves. I am constantly moving it back to its correct position even if someone is sitting there! I am constantly looking for alignment in things.
And the TP goes OVER! There is not other way.
Lisa Q
I have so many of these tendencies. TP must ALWAYS be over. I prefer to call them eccentric tendencies. LOL :)
The seam side of towels must always be inside the folded towel (which of course leaves the tag unseen). Hm...I also must always wipe down the faucets when done...I'm sure there are others but I'd better leave some space for other people to comment ;)
i'm already a follower so i wish i could add to your numbers.
it's been a pleasure reading all that you have been through to watch you come out the other side with such a wonderful guy (i mean mystery man -- don't mean the heartache you have been through). i'm glad you are doing so well.
anyway, i am OCD to the max. drive's my husband (been married 3 years) and two step kids (age 16 and 15) nuts. we've been together 4 years and he still likes to tell me i can't expect change over night but i think 4 years is way past over night.
anyway.....yep, my closet is organized by type of shirt and then by color, same with pants and skirts.
TP -- always over. i will change it in a house a visit if i happen to use their restroom. just never tell them.
yet.......i'm okay with a little wrinkle in a shirt.
but don't close the shower curtain or push in all the drawers and i am bound to go nuts.
OCD is such fun.......
great blog!!
Tricialynn,
The closet thing----yup. me too. I could do a whole post on my closet :).
Except I like the shower curtain closed so that it dries completely.
But I NEVER (hardly) iron---so, yeah, I'm a bit wrinkled at time. That makes me feel better about myself :).
Thanks so much for following! You are a sweetheart!
I guess I can't think of any particular tendencies I have, but I have noticed that people make a HUGE impression on me.
1) Debbie from Blog around the World has made me think twice before leaving on vacation without vaccuuming first and cleaning the whole house. I haven't been able to do it yet, but I think of it...
2) Babes in Hairland blog has made me think that it's not okay to leave my girls' hair a mess. She makes it look fun and easy, and my girls have benefitted, even though I still don't fix their hair every day...
3) Emily makes me think about cleaning my kitchen while the food is baking away, even though I still find the "after dinner dishes" overwhealming and often leave them until the morning. I've found this is a major no-no with a lot of women. Any tips for me? How do you keep the after dinner dishes to a small roar?
See...I don't think I have OCD tendencies at all....just "I learn from the best" tendencies. And yes, I'm a "tp goes over" type. I learned it long ago, after someone told me. My parents did it "wrong", and I've been an "over girl" ever since. In fact, I changed my parents tp to the right way (I found out as a teen) every time it was wrong.
Elena, good tip with the kid management tp under thing. Now I'll glom onto that gem too.
I diagnosed myself OCD long ago and in some ways, it is quite a blessing. Unfortunately I'm only moderately OCD in some things. Like very sanitary cooking conditions are a must. But I am able to let my house get messy now. I wish I couldn't stand it as much as I do.
And 95 followers! Holy Cow!!! You are SOOOOO POPULAR!
my house is not always the cleanest, but things are always alphabetized. The DVD's, the CD's, even books. I have no idea i do that. just makes it easier to find things :)
I can sooooo help you out with your getting to 100, I'll chat with "my people" and get it done for you. But there is a catch, oh yes. You should sign up to be a follower of mine, then I'll have 32 followers (my age) and that's be so cute! (i'm a freak)
Toilet paper, it HAS to be over for me...under is weird and I always change my parents rolls when I'm there. Silly folks!
So, come over and be my 32...K
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I'm your 100th devoted follower. I like even numbers too. I would have been your #1 follower but I'm slow at these things. You know how much I adore you!
The dress pillows on our bed have to be places just right, and the covers have to have no wrinkles. If anyone gets on the bed, it has to me remade to look smooth and perfect. Don't know why. Also, I don't like "stuff" on the bedside tables. I think I pick our bedroom to be picky about since the kids have free reign over the rest of the house. :)
Hi! New reader here. *waves* I found you from Starlight Musings. :D
so glad to have confirmation that toilet paper over is the correct way! I'm all warm and fuzzy inside now ;)
oh, and the 'CDO' bit was lol :)
You know if I knew how to subscribe to you...I totally would. Maybe I'll make that my goal this weekend!! Oh, but then, that might put you at an odd number?!! I"m gonna give it a shot...but it will have to wait until this weekend! There's a big game tonight don't ya know??!!! Oh yes...and one of my little "quips"...if you will...is having lotion and soap bottles turned where I can read the label...the list could go on and on...but I must go pick up a 6 yr old now :) GO SOONERS!!!!!!!!!
Darn, I'm always late. You've hit your 100 already.
Is there a right way to load the TP? I didn't know. But the kitchen chairs and stools must be pushed in, the cupboard doors closed, and the counters wiped off. That's about it.
Glad the visit with Mystery man went well. :) Thanks for sending me to Meg Duerksin's blog. I'm a little addicted to it.
I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I'm weird about numbers. But for me, 95 is a completely acceptable one because it can be evenly divisible. Prime numbers on the other hand ... :P
Woo hoo -- I saw that you are 103. Great job! I am not too OCD -- and it's a good thing because right now my house is a wreck! I do like the bar stools pushed in, but looking over there -- they are strewn all over the room.
I think I'm a little too addicted to blogging :-) I may need to go to a 12-step meeting...
Have a great day!
Jen
You were at 104 when I started following - hope that 105 is an ok number! :) I was glad for an excuse to follow and quit lurking... you write such fun posts to read!
On compulsion: I really think after reading your comments that I am not OCD. My house is clean all of the time because I don't have children and my husband likes it tidy, but I nurture one half of a table in our office as my 'messy area' and just go through it with big sighs once every month or so.
Oh, and by the way I think it's GREAT that you're keeping part of your story to yourself for now! Here's to endings written by the Author who loves us so passionately!
I see you are 105 -- now what if you get to another strange number -- like 107 or 113? What are you going to do?
I love that you had to put a disclaimer on the messy room.
I love that you alphabetized OCD to the proper CDO.
I love the things you view as important -- it is the little things that count. A few trash bags and the stuff from the kids can be gone -- but who will arrange the pencils!?
So funny! Great and amusing post, as always!
And I have to have the toilet paper coming over the top. And I need to arrange books by size order. And I'm sure I have more but now I'm too am obsessed with my follower number -- I'm hovering right below 50! Just two more people and I'll be halfway to 100.
I was already a follower--but I'm dying to know what you will do with your un-hundred number now!! Surely there is an alternative to sleepless nights in the near future??!? =)
Toilet paper MUST go over. No one else in my family seems to understand this, though.
And I like things a certain way...but not quite like this. My mom lives with us. And she is just like that. Everything must be straight and even. Things centered on walls. (And I like everything off kilter) It makes things interesting...
We all have our crosses to bear:-) Hee, hee, hee.
Yeah, toilet paper goes over.
Not sure I have any rigid tendencies........I guess I am particular about how the silverware goes when setting a table.
Look I made it 106. That is so random now! I like the toilet paper over--and will change it too. Linens must be tri-folded and stacked with ends inward. And I am sure there are more, but Rob definitely has me beat on the OCD front.
Jennifer, So excited that you are a follower now. I cried, I laughed, I cried and smiled and laughed some more. He he..
So, are you weirded out now that you have over 100 followers? Are we gonna have to even out again? If so, give me a shout and I'll get you hooked up again. See ya girl!!!
THANK YOU! The toilet paper goes OVER. I can't tell you how stupid I felt at my mother's house when I was trying to find the beginning of the toilet paper, and I spun it around and around until I realized I wasn't going to find it since she INSISTS that you should put it under. Come on, MOM! Even the hotels put it over. How else do they get the cute triangle fold going?! Sigh... I'm sorry for ranting on your comments :).
My OCD is keeping my kids' clothes sorted. When I see the undies with the socks, I freak out and fix it. Oh, and when there are two matched socks NOT folded together, I have to fold them.
I just took you to 107.. what does that mean?
Tiffany,
I think it means that the earth's element now melt in a fervent heat and time starts to go backwards.
Watch out!
:)
Actually, now that the number went to 100--I seem to be at peace with whatever it ends up on. It's all good!
I have 3 boys...and nothing stays neat, tidy or organized in my home for more than 5 minutes!
It makes living with my OCD just that much harder:-)
hilarious! cuz I clicked over to you from facebook, where i just hit 100 friends. not excited b/c of friends, but because it is an EVEN number!!! i was stuck on 97 and i thought that was such an irritating, odd number!!
i have three kids and my neurosis is that the spices are organized. there's times i calm myself down just by opening the cupboard and looking at my nice, little organized nutmeg. :)
(can't believe i just admitted these things out loud.)
Jennifer I am shocked at your shamless plug to get more followers...shameless, shamless! (:
I know that I already commented, but damn, now my mind is going crazy! Ever since I read your post, now I am noticing some other possible OCDness in myself! LOL And now I am just annoyed that I have an odd number of followers too! LOL I'm not shooting for 100 or anything like that though, since I just started here last month. I can't wait to see how many more OCD things I notice about myself this weekend! Thanks alot! LOL
It is amazing, Curl Girl, that in all the posts I've read of yours that it never dawned on me that you were single. Mystery Man is a lucky guy and I hope you have found some happiness tfor you and your boys' lives. Good luck to you and keep up the blogging. We all love it as the number of commentors shows.
Stewey
I have too many to mention here and that makes me wonder about something, is this our way of having control in a world out of control......things that make you go hmmmmm!:)
Well. I ALMOST became a follower, but then you'd have 109 followers. I'm sure you couldn't have that. ;) 108 is such a prettier number.
What are you going to do now that you are over 100? I am a bit OCD myself, but not as bad as DH... TP over, Hangers all have to have the clothes facing the same way ( facing to the left of the closet, Toby puts them to the right)... I wish I were more OCD about my house, it sometimes (okay often) looks like the random messy room... but I am working on it a little at a time...
CDO.
HA!
That's what my husband calls me.
And I defiantly say OCD.
There are too many tendancies to list. We'll just leave it at the fact that we're kindred spirits of CDO tendancies.
I do the same thing with my chandelier and centerpiece!
Now you have 110!! Woohoo!
I've been gone too long and now I'm getting caught up. SO you'll excuse me as I continue reading!!
ps Have you seen this lovely sweet post about you??
http://www.throughaglasshalffull.blogspot.com/
I have OCD too and I'm going to have to follow you because we need to stick together. Plus I can't stand seeing you at 111. That's just wrong.
95 is nothing... that IS a round number to me now 93 or 109 would annoy me. I plan on getting married on 10/10/10... I have the same number issues!
You make me laugh. Glad your holidays were sweet. Glad you're smiling. No - CDO here, I just want a clean house -- why why why do I have so much clutter. Must reduce.
oh awesome - alphabetizing ocd --- you truly do have issues *wink wink*
and THANK YOU - I can't STAND it when the tp is the wrong way...
and my house??? Let's just say I organized my laundry room over Christmas vaca - and the rest of the house? Well, the rest of the house FELL IN ON ITSELF. So, now I'm diggin IT out. Nothing is ALWAYS just right - with the exception of the TP, as long as SOMEthing is 'just right.'
I want to be a follower to the awesome Jen!! I've got to read up on any recent developments. Hope things are going wonderfully. It was SO GREAT to be with you a few weeks ago. Can't wait for our play date with the boys someday soon...
YOUR BLOG IS HILARIOUS, AND I WILL MAKE IT A REGULAR READ! 4 BOYS! GOD HAS CERTAINLY BLESSED YOU FRIEND. HUGS FROM MAINE. OH YEA, I HOPE THIS COMMENT PUTS YOU AT AN EVEN NUMBER FOR COMMENTS SAKE. WOULDN'T WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU LOOSING SLEEP. TEE HEE
I just became a follower but I hate to tell ya....I was number 114. I will laugh if you end up with 115, or 125, etc. I'm totally OCD about the strangest things. My family laughs at me because there can be a mess all over the counter top but I hate hate hate food in the sink. I like my kitchen cabinets orderly and can't stand it when someone puts a blue glass in the clear glass section. I can't stand it if my husband hangs his towel crooked (I've given up on the kids!) Good luck with coming out with a nice round number of followers!
Toilet paper totally has to go over. Or off with their head!
I thought all of your examples (chairs, barstools, pens, centerpiece) were very normal. Who wouldn't want all of the pen nubs down, really?
TP always over -- until I had toddlers. Much to easy to unroll that way.
One of your funniest posts ever...I love that you changed the OCD to CDO because, well, it wasn't in order...crack me up!
PS...I will come back tomorrow to finish catching up on posts...it's waaaay past my bedtime...
Post a Comment