Thursday, December 13, 2007

snow show

I hadn't got a chance to post these pictures yet. Monday morning, I got up early and spent some lovely alone time reading and enjoying the quiet and clean that are possible around my house only in the early morning and late night! As I pulled up the shade, I was thrilled to see I had a little snow to keep me company. It was too pretty not to capture, so I tromped outside in my pajamas and slippers and took a picture . I wish I had turned all the lights on inside, as I love a picture of a house in an evening (or early morning) snow all lit up--it looks so welcoming and warm. BUT if I turned all the lights on, everyone would have been awakened and quiet time would be all over. Ah well!
and this is my mailbox. I fell in love with the copper mailboxes that Smith and Hawken offer, but didn't see much of a point in paying $125 for one. So, I bought a gray box for $4.97, and a can of hammered copper spray paint and voila! Not quite the real thing, but it'll fool you good if your just driving by. The mailbox that was here when we moved in was painted like a cow and had been severely beaten in by (I'm assuming) a baseball bat. I think my neighbor's box may have undergone the same beating, but they don't seem to mind......

8 comments:

Elena said...

I love a cozy house in the snow too. And your mailbox is great. I don't know how you find the time and energy to make even your mailbox beautiful!!!

Lee Ann said...

Oh I'm jealous! We've at least had snow this year. None of it stuck, but it was pretty coming down. And to be the first one making foot prints...I love it!

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas!

Emily said...

Cute mailbox, ours is surrounded in a brick encasing so I don't think I could ever extract it for painting! I love Smith and Hawken, they actually have a store at one of our nearby malls. It's fun to take a gander through and dream, because--like you said, they are a bit on the pricey side!

Jennifer P. said...

Elena, I actually made a few extra of these mailboxes for Christmas gifts last year! (But only for friends who didn't move so far away--ha!ha! :) ).

Lee Ann, Winters here are pretty, but I think I'd take Washington's climate the rest of the year!

Emily, I WISH my box had a brick enclosure. I'm sure yours won't be beat with a baseball bat!

Lee Ann said...

Do you know Meg Duerksen personally or is she an inspiration blog? I've just spent way too much time looking at her blog and I'm up to my ears in envy! I really shouldn't look at things like that.

I love my home, I love my home, I love my home.

I really do, sometimes I just need to remind myself of that :-)

Anonymous said...

Lee Ann- I said the same thing after I checked her blog out!! So funny. I told Jennifer that I was coveting so it was time for me to go to get off the computer. Isn't her home amazing!!??

And Jennifer, I wish I could have one of your pretty mailboxes, but I have a stupid community box thing. I hate it. I LOVE a house with it's own mailbox out front.

Jennifer P. said...

Just an inspiration blog, though she has left me several sweet comments. I think I stayed up until about 2 am the first night I found her blog--just looking at all the gorgeous pictures she takes. Don't we all dream of living in a great old house like that? They use to live in Chicago and moved to a tiny town in Kansas, so I guess they had a healthy real estate profit!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Boy you have had a heck of a week! I am so grateful that everything turned out OK with your son. I can't imagine what you went through.
Now, on to that mail box! Is that cute or what?! I love that you didn't fall for the high price tag and created one for yourself for under $10! I love it!
And yes, I think my blinkie looks great on your site too. Thank you!