Courtney Gains. Does the name ring a bell? It didn't to me either. So, my friend starts to tell me some of the movies this guy has been in: Back to the Future, Memphis Belle, Can't Buy Me Love, Sweet Home Alabama..........and then he throws in that he's probably best known for his role in this one:
(lots of space here for dramatic effect!.....)
*************************************************
*************************************************
**************************************************
***************************************************
***************************************************
Even the mention of the name CHILDREN OF THE CORN gave me the chills. The heebie-jeebies. The "adjective that hasn't been invented yet, but describes me feeling really scared"! And, the ironic thing is, I haven't seen this film for 25 years. The images are still burned into my brain though--it frightened me THAT bad!!!
I remember walking down the street to my buddy Robin's house one muggy summer evening. We were going to go to the roller skating rink together. When I arrived, she told me that we had to wait for her mom to get back from the store before we could leave. So, I plopped down on the couch next to her and started to watch whatever it was her dad was watching on television. They had this new, cool thing called "cable". Sometimes we would laugh at Mr. Ed reruns together, or dance to Rod Stewart videos on MTV. But tonight, it was some kind of a movie with a lot of children in it.... And the rest of it becomes a memory I wish I could repress. Her mom didn't come home for over an hour, and I sat there-- paralyzed with fear, watching these Satanic kids poison their parent's coffee, hack them up, bury them in a cornfield, and take over their whole town. The part that affected me most was all the religious defamation that went on---some dead "blue guy" on a crucifix. An ink-drawn moustache on a picture of Jesus in the church. Praying to "He Who Walks Behind the Rows". All very nice, happy things. Oh yeah---did I mention I was only EIGHT YEARS OLD?!?!?! Talk about some serious early age trauma!
My friend's friend Courtney was Malachi:

Recognize him now? I bet if you saw this movie--you'd never be able to forget him either! Actually, I feel kind of sorry for the guy! My friend still keeps in touch with him. He said every time they go out, someone stops them and tells Courtney how badly he terrified them. He even gets called "the devil" on a regular basis. That probably doesn't do a heckuva lot for one's spiritual self-esteem, does it :)?!
But, thanks to that movie--I became a great horror movie wimp. I was the one all the other girls would make fun of -- calling my mom from a slumber party, crying to come home because they were going to watch Rosemary's Baby, or Night of the Living Dead, or Carrie. I think I was even afraid of Disney's Watcher in the Woods! Suspenseful..... I can nail-chew my way through----but evil...... I'll never go there again! Once was obviously enough to scar me for the past 2 decades.......Thanks Children of the Corn! Thanks, too, very responsible father of my friend Robin who thought it was totally appropriate to let 8 year olds watch a slasher film!
*Also--I found the soundtrack to this movie and almost added it to accompany this post--but I was seriously shaking just to hear it again! Very freaky!--you can go search Project Playlist "Children of the Corn, Main Title Theme" for it and scare yourself crazy if you want!!! (just don't listen to it alone!). I did put up this techno version of the song, but I found it much more danceable than scary :).
~~~~~Now it's your turn to play. What movie(s) scared the bejeebers out of you?~~~~~~






46 comments:
oh that movie still haunts me! goose bumps ask i'm typing this!
EVIL DEAD!!!!!
I was at a friend's house, and the parents were out etc etc. I didn't want to watch it, but was reduced to do so via peer pressure. Awful stuff.
I also seem to remember 'the Shining' was pretty scary too.
I am not a horror film watcher though. I love a good drama or love story. Or some science fiction.
Labrinyth (or however you spell it). I saw it at about 8 years old and I'm still creeped out by it. *L*
Becka
Darby o Gill and the little people... yes its true. This was an old Sean Connery flick by Disney-a family film. We used to watch it all the time and I was too proud to tell my parents that it terrified me. I was so scared of the 'death coach' thing. I would brave my way through it and then go to bed and have nightmares. I watched it a few years ago out of curiousity to see what was scary about it and it still scared me! I guess that which scares us as a kid scares as an adult the same way a movie we love as a kid we love as an adult.
As a early twenty something I began to love scary /slasher films like Scream and the like but that only lasted a few years and now I hate them. I can't watch anything gory or that has an evil feel either.
ok, don't laugh, but....
E.T.
ughhhhhhh hate that scary movie!
OMG!!! Doug...you hit the nail on the head. Except for me, it was the banshee...not the death coach.
Poltergeist, hands down, is the one that got me. I saw parts of it was I was 7 and to this day, I HATE SPIDERS and CLOWNS (the marionette).
I was traumatized at a young age by Pet Sematary (yes, it's really spelled that way, not cemetery)! Wasn't that Stephen King as well? How could his brain even think up such terrifying things? I've never seen Children of the Corn, and now I definitely never will!
Oh...I DO NOT do scarey movies! Have never seen it..don't have any desire to! I can't even walk down that aisle in the store when we rent movies! I'm a big-O whimp! We would've been great friends at slumber parties! I never called to go home...but when it was time for Friday the 13th--part 500...it was me who was always making a point to bring up a loonnnnngg coversation with anyone in a room far far away from where the movie was playing :( Thanks for not adding the music :)
I saw children of the corn too and I was probably a couple of years younger than you then. It FREAKED me out! I think that all the horror or rated R movies I've seen were all watched before I turned 10. Thanks to my great big brothers. "Faces of Death" "Pet Cemetery" "Child's Play" I am still very scared thinking about them to this day.
Pet Sematary was pure evil. I love animals and the thought of that movie makes my hair stand on end. The worst part was that we had a couple of animals buried on our property and for a long time I wouldn't go outside.
The Exorcist. I saw it for the first time in college and have seriously never been the same since. I cannot do scary movies. I go diving for the remote when trailers for them come on t.v. I can remember when "The Grudge" trailers were running on prime time. Just the scene they would show of the freaky kid screaming like a cat gave me nightmares.
As a kid I was scared of the movie Grimlins (If that's how you spell it). Unlike most everyone on here though I actually like scary movies, although I have to say... I think I definately get more paranoid now that I have a family about things that "could really happen". I saw 'Mr. Brooks' and 'The Hills have Eyes.' Loved both, but they totally freaked me out. I know it sick... but every now and then I like a good scare. :)
I have NEVER been able to watch horror movies. I start and I have to turn them off. Wimpy, I know!! They scare the 'snot' out of me. I have tried to watch 'Carrie', 'Amityville Horror', 'Children of the Corn', etc.
Lisa Q
I saw Children of the Corn in the theater and almost wet my pants. SCARY.
There was a made for tv movie in the 70's called Harvest Home that had Bette Davis in it. That one still freaks me out just thinking about it. So does Salem's Lot.
Despite all the gorey horror movies I saw on sleepovers in elementary and Jr. High school, there was one that really stuck with me...
The first time that I saw the movie Joyride, I was petrified. I still get scared when semi trucks drive behind me at night. Good thing I don't have a CB radio...
I stayed at my friend's house when I was about 5 years old and her older brother had on a dracula movie (remember those really, really gross ones...not the ones these days where they try and make vampires seem nice..so wrong). I am digressing....I had nightmares for years. I can still feel those terrified feelings from when I was five, and needless to say...I do not do scary movies...EVER... or will I let my kids see scary movies....EVER. They have heard my Dracula nightmare story way too many times, and at least for now believe me when I say those impressions will be imprinted on your mind for years to come.
I cannot do scary movies. As a child I saw Chuckie, Cujo, Carrie, Lady in White, The Shining, and others like that. Never Children of the Corn because my friends watched it (friends who lived way out in the country on a farm with corn) and freaked me out so bad I wouldn't watch it.
In recent memory I have been convinced to watch two movies that freaked me out, The Ring and White Noise--I couldn't listen to the radio or watch TV the same after that one.
But what really freaks me out are the movies where the thing could really happen, like Untraceable, or Joy Ride. I will stick to my romantic comedies, thank you.
Poltergeist, hands down. And the fact that the little girl who uttered the signature line, "They're herrrrrreee..." died a few years later added to the creepyness! Carrie was a pretty scary flick, too. Gotta love the young Cissy Spacek! BTW, Aunt Julie needs help planning the rehearsal dinner for her son's wedding, and needs your help. Plus, she's giving away a complete set of Pop'rs in the bargain, starting today-the best way to encourage your family to Eat Their Veggies! Please drop in sometime and check it out!
I do not do scary movies with glowing eyes. I hate that - even the cartoon Atlantis made me squirm. Yes total whimp here, so I would have gladly joined you in the other room for a long discussion on the benefits of dental floss.
Ughhh....Children of the Corn. Saw that when I was little too. I was out at night once hleping my dad with some trees and my came walking around the row of trees and my dad came the other direction in his tractor and scenes from that movie came screaming into my head. I don't know that I've ever ran faster. I'm with you, evil deamon creepy shows I just can't do.
Jaws. Still cannot go into the ocean. And my mom took me to see Amityville Horror when I was like 7 or 8. Why?! She said I wanted to see it. (So it's my fault?) Everytime I look out the window at night, I am convinced I'm going to see those red eyes...
The Exorcist...I thought I was old enough at around age 10 to watch it-my older teenage brother and sister were watching it. I lasted maybe 15 mins and had nightmares after nightmare about that movie! :(
I don't remember what Children of the Corn was about-my memory is sooooo bad. But I remember watching it at a church lock in! Isn't that weird!
We used to watch scary movies at slumber parties, but my parents were very strict about what we watched at home. So one year when I had a slumber party, my dad went to the video store to rent one he deemed appropriate. He got a G-rated Alfred Hitchcock knock-off that was horrible. I was mortified!
When I lived in Tennessee, I found out that "Night of the Living Dead" had been filmed near our house. So I watched that, and it was creepy to think about that being filmed nearby.
I still enjoy suspense movies, but not slasher types. Too gross for me!
The Saw, it's my own fault, I shouldn't have been watching a rater R movie, butI abwled, and cried, and read my scriptures, and I swore to never watch another one. Scared the tar outta me!
Salem's Lot, Carrie, and Pet Cemetery. The first two watched when I was way too young (I have no idea why or how), and the latter was with a friend when I was older. The first two scarred me for life, and I think Stephen King is just a freak of nature now...the evil stuff in his mind makes me worry for him. I found Pet Cemetary so over the top offensive (I HATE to watch anything involving children that way) that I walked out of the theater in disgust!
I no longer ever watch horror movies, as I think there is enough evil in this world without paying to see it or lining some demented person's pockets. My kids will never be scarred like I was by that stuff!!
Phew...it felt good to get that off my chest!! :)
I don't think any movie has ever really scared me, but I was quite disturbed by Something Wicked This Way Comes which they showed us in like 5th or 6th grade!!!! Great idea..not.
However, I was scared to see The Exorcist. I wanted to see it, but I heard so many scary things about it(including how people reacted when they saw it in the theatre when it was first released). I finally watched it on AMC with commercials and little facts running at the bottom of the screen and I was fine and absolutely loved it!! Of course, some stuff was cut. One day I will watch the full version. Just not in a theatre.
The Sixth Sense. I couldn't get out of bed the next morning, I was so terrified. I vowed never to watch another scary film again.
I watched "I Am Legend" out of curiosity to see how they protrayed an abandoned NYC, but had to cover my eyes a LOT.
By the way, I've always been a scary movie wimp, too. What was that one Disney horror movie where the psycho circus comes to town and people have weird dreams? Scared me silly at 9 years old. Still scared me at 20. Oh yeah--"Something Wicked This Way Comes". They weren't kidding.
I forgot--I do like Heather when the commercials come on--I could NOT handle the ones for "The Others". They scared me to death and the images--from that and Sixth Sense--were not helpful when I had my first baby and had to get up with her in the dark and cold all winter long!
Polterguist--hands down. Trees eating me really scared me.
HBO movie where video tape ate a man. It still scared me when I watched it years later. YUCK!!
holy cow jennifer that is so freaky and i am definately never ever ever going to watch that movie but the scariest movies i have probably seen would be poltergiest the messengers and double jeoprody i saw that when i was about seven and it was when i was scared to sleep by myself and i got so scared when the lady was inside the tomb scene yuck i wont watch it again!!
I was pretty young when my sister and her friends thought it would be fun to watch a Nightmare on Elm Street movie when our parents were out of town. I've been scarred for life because of that. Then I tried to impress my first high school boyfriend by watching Pet Semetary with him and his friends on a school trip when I was 14. Scarred myself even more then. I can't even go through an amusement park scare ride now.
On another note. If The Wizard of Oz comes on at our house my husband will high-tail it out of the room. Refuses to even watch it with our kids. (I probably shouldn't share that, but, we are in LA on vacation and I'm annoyed at him right now).
I have never watched that movie....i scare easily..hehe...but that is super freaky! You know those Leprechaun movies? Those things scared the poo outta me!! LOL
I love your blog! It looks fantastic! And I see you are a homeschooling mom as well!!! I would love any tips or suggestions you may have for me as I am just starting! I am using the "My Father's World" curriculum for first grade for my daughter and then working on pre-K stuff with my sons! :)
I am a scary movie wienie! I will say that Children of the Corn did traumatize me and now when DH and I travel if he dares to try and take a back road I'm all "NO HONEY NO, PLEASE PLEASE GO BACK TO A BIG ROAD!!!"
It was a lot of fun to have some new commenters on this one!--Aimee, Becka, Doug (you're only the third male I've ever had comment on here!--nice to know you're out there, or that you're a female with a very unfortunate name...),Molly, Kendra, Katy, and Elizabeth. Thanks for speaking up! Great to see some familiar SITStas speaking up too! And McCall, are you MY McCall P. or some other girl named McCall?
Thanks, everyone, for letting me know what movies to avoid from here on out--including E.T., The Wizard Of Oz, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and Darby O'Gill. I'd never have thought to avoid a few of those :)!
Your post gave me the goosebumps! I cannot believe Robin's Dad let you sit there and watch it. I think the first and last horror movie I saw was Friday the 13th. Since then, I will NEVER watch them...they freak me out way too much....I'm getting scared as we speak. I think I'm going to bed...Oh wait, now I am going to have nightmares. Thanks alot JP!
Found you through SITS and love your blog. I gave you an award if you'd like to pick it up on my blog. I think you really deserve it.
As for the movie that scared me half to death...It was called, "Don't be afraid of the dark" and I never watched another scary movie again.
I actually like scary movies. The Blair Witch Project had the skin on the back of my neck up for a few days.
i don't watch creepy movies. i watched watchers in the woods when i was probably 7 or 8 and scared the living daylihgts out of me and even as a teenager i had to force myself to sit through it...i don't like feeling yucky inside...my husband ahs to watch anything suspensful first so that he can tell me what to expect so that i don't totally freak out. though i did watch the m. knight shamaln movie, the village and it is really fascinating, and extremely suspensful, but a good movie...this is one you could watch (not alone though) :)
The Princess Bride. I was 7 or 8 when I saw it, and the part with rodents of unusual size FREAKED ME OUT! I didn't remember what movie it was until much later, when my friends couldn't believe I hadn't seen it (cuz I didn't remember that that was it). Once they started playing it, all the bad memories of my childhood welled up and I had to look away!
I absolutely hate being scared so have never seen a real scary movie!
ya jennifer this is mccall your neice lol i loooooooove your blog!!!
I have never seen this movie because I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was younger and now I think I am too chicken to watch it....but I do remember that guy! It must be nice to be friends with a famous guy, although they are just people too! I have met a few of them and some are so down to earth, you forget that they are on t.v. or movies!
Take Care,
Sonya
OH MY H***!!!! That Movie scared the living crap out of me and I think I was around 8, too.....at my aunts, who made me promise NOT to tell my parents. I could not sleep by a window for about 10 years! Seriously, I have never been too interested in being scared to death ever since! I feel your pain- Children of the Corn caused me lifelong nightmares!
"The Ring". My husband and I were the only two in the entire theatre. I made him swear like 50 times that he wouldn't try to scare me.
Do you think that worked?
Just had to let you know that I got the creeps just reading your posts and seeing the pictures! I HATED this movie because it scared me to death when I saw it.
I was in High School and saw it with my boyfriend...who I ended up marrying.
Anyway, our daughter is now in High School and she and her friends are totally into scary movies. We told them they HAD to watch this one. They rented it and they all thought it was SO LAME!! Can you believe it??? They weren't scared at all. Sheesh!
Times have changed.
Okay, you're just freaking me out now. NOW I hear the theme song. THANKS! Just what I needed to hear RIGHT before I go to bed. That was an awful movie. Yet. I used to love scary movies. Now they just plain...REALLY SCARE me.
((shivers))
Post a Comment